Road Frames c.1975-85.. Un-vague us!

Nice one up for grabs here at a price though
How much!!!!! Knock several 0's off. It's nice - but not that nice. I had one, sold it to a 'friend' (I didn't get on with the bike, it didn't ride anywhere near as well as the hype suggested) who pestered me for it and I sold it to him for a LOT less than that. Next time I saw it (not all that long afterwards) it was in pieces on Hilary Stone's website...............................:(

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
How much!!!!! Knock several 0's off. It's nice - but not that nice. I had one, sold it to a 'friend' (I didn't get on with the bike, it didn't ride anywhere near as well as the hype suggested) who pestered me for it and I sold it to him for a LOT less than that. Next time I saw it (not all that long afterwards) it was in pieces on Hilary Stone's website...............................:(
Nice renovation which probably cost them that much to do based on my renovation custom builds……but like you say handled like a dog & was very flexible when putting the power down……must have lost huge amount of watts on a timed run…….

OK, old thread for sure. But the braze-on cable guides were widely considered normal and not a custom add on by 1975 as you stated.

However, DeRosa (I own 3 early ones, including one Molteni team frame) was doing this for top riders on their request.

Colnago started selling mass produced instead of custom order in 73. The cable guides were an option.

Could somebody with access to old Campy Catalogues take a look-see and see when the shifter braze ons became available?

Campag 660 bosses certainly appear in catalog 13 (1955). There are bosses 600/1 and 611/1 in catalog 12 (1953) described as 'attacco per comando cambio da saldare' (connection for gear control for welding), they have what look like outer cable stop guides attached, just like the band-on lever from the same era.

I believe that the first braze on front mech for the 70's was the Shimano Dura Ace 7210 Ex and was designed for use with the latest aerodynamic oval tube frames and came with the braze on tab. The first Raleigh Dynaflite 753 aero tube prototype bike appeared at the New York bike show in February 1980 wearing a mix of Campagnolo Super Record and Shimano Dura Ace components which was rather odd but probably due to the fact that Campagnolo had yet to release a braze on front mech so the Dura Ace drive train used instead 🤔

shimano82_0023.jpg 424976-9ec6dfa58a10b8f4cac9e65c423d76c4 (1).jpg 424976-9ec6dfa58a10b8f4cac9e65c423d76c4~4.jpg

Last edited:
Just enjoying this thread. A bit of a "date line reference for bike anoraks" and incredibly useful.

It been a fair while since we've heard of from @torqueless too, so hope he his alright.

Back