Retrolectric bike

Interesting experience. When I've looked at mid drive kits the prices without batteries were approaching $800 USD while the swytch kit I recall being around $500 USD if you pre-ordered. I also like that the swytch kit is low impact, while a mid drive or rear drive takes a bit more effort. I agree that the front wheel drive isn't ideal - I wouldn't do it on a cargo bike. But definitely like the idea for an old mountain bike or hybrid.
As this was an experiment cost was a factor so the the price of this kit which included the batteries couldn't really be ignored.

As a little update I've covered a good few miles on the electric 27 and so far so good. The only issue has been a rear wheel puncture (it would be the bloody rear wouldn't it), so I've invested in a couple of slime tubes in the hope that they protect on my route through the woods to work.

The one thing that worried me about this build was braking capacity with the extra weight and speed but this has proved to be unfounded, good quality brake blocks mean when I really need to stop I do. As an example the other day I was coming downhill at around 34 or 35 mph and remembering that I needed that left at the bottom of the hill just as I approached it I had to brake very late and very hard and absolutely no drama's whatsoever.

We also weighed my bike at work the other day and with all its winter gear on it tips the scales at a shade under 19Kg, which compared to my bosses £1500 electric mountain bike at nearer 27Kg is a great gain in both sorts of pounds.

range wise my route to work is roughly 12 miles each way and I although I charge it after 24 miles it still has between half and three quarters charge in it and I'd say nearer to three quarters so 36 miles would be a doddle and 48 achievable I reckon.

All in all it's been a very successful experiment and one I would repeat, well I did as I built Mrs H one as well.
electric 27.jpg

Another little update, the Schwable Comp CX tyres in 700x30 that I had on the bike are great for road use with the occasional bit of soft off road, but my route to work takes in a lot of forestry commission routes that have recently been paved with some very sharp stone and gravel. So after one too many punctures on the way home I have now pushed the tyre size to the maximum this frame will accommodate and the mudguards no longer fit.

Its now got 700x38 Fincci tyres with the puncture guard strips in them, it looks a bit like a Raleigh Bomber circa 1983 to me now but if it gets me home tonight I'll chalk it us as a success, and anyway the bigger tyres meant it was a more comfortable ride in this morning.
IMG_20230701_123527.jpg

Affectionately known as Frankenshyte II (on account of the kit was previously on an old, now dead, Whyte and it being a lot of bits joined together by nuts and bolts and brought to life by electrickery):

frankenshyte.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back