Retrolectric bike

allenh

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
I'm expecting this to create some opinions but In the words of Jeremy Clarkson I've done a thing so I'm very interested in what peoples thoughts are about this thing I've done? I do very much doubt there are any other Campag equipped electric bikes though.

The reason for this thing is quite simply peer pressure as a couple of the guys a work use electric bikes to ride to work, we're all old people, live at the seaside and the office is over the hills in Canterbury so getting to work in a sensible time is of the essence. I have ridden many of my normal bikes to the office on many an occasion but it takes far too much of my day and these guys are getting into the office in double quick time.

I've looked at a few of these electric bike things and unless you're prepared to spend car money they are all pretty much rubbish bike wise and heavy so I thought I'd have a go with one of the conversion kits. I took a bike I like but don't use much (in this case my pub bike), which doesn't weigh several tonnes to start with and added a cheapish (£390) kit from ebay which has a 36V 350W motor and a battery with integral controller that bolts onto the down tube via the bottle cage.

I put it together very quickly Sunday afternoon and its been charging overnight so I haven't actually tested my creation yet and probably won't be able until the weekend but will report back with some better pictures and some insights once I've had the thing moving.
IMG_20220522_175633_381.jpg

I'd have thought the range would be limited by the length of the extension cable :)

but seriously, interested to hear how you get on - been thinking about doing the same, although big batteries and skinny steel tubes don't work too well visually.

No I've got one of those big cable reels with a retraction spring so the wife can get me back in when its time for dinner.

It does all feel a bit brave new world and I agree about the fat battery and skinny frame but I still much prefer to the ones I've seen with a rack on the back for the battery, I also don't like the ones with a separate controller that you put in a frame hanging bag so this seemed the best compromise to me. I'm also pleased with how small the motor is inside the rear wheel.

Of course the proof of it all will be once I get out on it at the weekend.

Take a few zip ties.....those battery mounts are quite flexy and let go of the batteries quite easy over potholes!
Noted and yes I'm bringing a few nice thick long ones home from work tonight, the ones that come in the kit for the cables are more than a bit weedy so they're all getting replaced before it goes out in anger anyway.

I converted my Whyte 901 with a similar kit - except I went for a bottom bracket based motor. I used a pedal strap to hold my battery on, but frankly I'm not sure it needs it. The mount is pretty secure, and the battery locks to it - and I've taken the whole rig down my normal trails without a worry - apart from it going rather quicker downhill due to the weight and reduced stopping power!

These conversions are brilliant if you are without a car, live in hilly area and have to be places in a predictable time. I regularly teach in the evenings and the hilly commute back could take 30-60 mins depending on how exhausted I was/whether it was pissing down and blowing a gale. Now it always takes around 20 minutes, and no more than 15 to get in.

Attachments

• IMG_6811.jpeg
    IMG_6811.jpeg
    685.2 KB · Views: 18
Back