Retrobike Touring.

Flats with bar ends here. Very wide and upright so so can shift your weight around though.

Had to drop No.1 son off at Plymouth University on Friday, so took the opportunity for a small overnighter on Dartmoor, just off the old granite quarry tramway near Princetown.
Parked at the Coypool long stay (free) car park, then up the Plym Valley trail. I felt slow and struggling, but the steady gradient and ascent is deceptive. Then some big Devon hills through Hoo Meavy and Meavy to Burrator Reservoir, and onto the Tramway. By then it was nearly dark, but found a really nice spot to pitch. All fed and tucked up by 8:30.
51496153490_4b3b5efd2e_b.jpg

I was woken by drizzle on the tent at 0600, so I went back to sleep. Fortunately there was a break in the rain about 0800, so cooked breakfast and packed up, just in time for it to rain again. Got back to the car completely soaked (glad I brought my rain jacket, but overtrousers would have been good).
I was also glad I went with the little tent rather than a simple bivi bag as I didn;t trust the weather forecast and have been caught out before on Dartmoor.
The bike is a 1990 Marin Palisades.
51494432402_1fe259c03e_b.jpg
Digging your set up; especially the old skool sleeping mat tent wrap. (Inserts cool emoticon)

Need some help/info/advice for anyone that has stayed and ridden off road in the New Forest.

I am planning an overnighter before my surgery - probably early October and staying at Acres Down Farm, are there any recommendations for routes mainly off-road, disused railways etc. Not looking at travelling too far, more of a shakedown and toe dip.

Yeah, I love any updates here.

Always inspiring and a reminder to pull my finger out and get working on a camping rig!

Back