Retrobike Touring.

Re:

What brands of fuel are best used in Trangias ??

Bought some today from a established high street camping shop and was told it was suitable :x

Flames were 2 foot high, and blackened my kettle in seconds. Thought I was going to set my decking alight :(

Ethanol - aka methylated spirits, denatured alcohol, bio-ethanol. Nothing else. If not new it tells you on the burner cap. Highly curious what they sold you.

rwm1962":377phs4l said:
Ethanol - aka methylated spirits, denatured alcohol, bio-ethanol. Nothing else. If not new it tells you on the burner cap. Highly curious what they sold you.

I just happened to be passing a store, they sold Trangias and I asked for some suitable fuel and was sold some Coleman bottled.

I just assumed it would be suitable :facepalm:

The flame/burn was so high I though I would need to call Red Adair :(

They've given you white gas. Basically very refined petrol. School boy error on your part but the shop seriously need a rocket up their arse if they knew it was for a Trangia. Could have been nasty.

rwm1962":34zacsmd said:
They've given you white gas. Basically very refined petrol. School boy error on your part but the shop seriously need a rocket up their arse if they knew it was for a Trangia. Could have been nasty.

You are right, luckily I only tested a small ammount. And I should have checked I know now :facepalm:

And I am going to complain for sure!!!

Re:

yep trangia meths, colemans petrol.

don't get the meths mixed up with your savoury rice. tastes disgusting. almost as bad as GT85 in red wine.

For Colemans / MSR Whisperlite etc the nicest fuel now is Aspen4T - it's a synthetic (IIRC from plant-based sources) petrol substitute without the additives. It doesn't smell like petrol, burns clean like Coleman fuel and is far cheaper too.

Aspen 4T is excellent. Available from many agricultural merchants. Don't get their 2T for stoves though. That's 2 stroke! Coleman Fuel is crazy expensive.

Back