Retrobike Touring.

Lots of people use the Alpkit Ti ones - personally I have an aluminium 750ml pot with frying pan lid plus a plastic 500ml mug. The advantage is that I can drink tea while cooking my dinner. That's worth 50g in my book!

hamster":lppc23j6 said:
Lots of people use the Alpkit Ti ones - personally I have an aluminium 750ml pot with frying pan lid plus a plastic 500ml mug. The advantage is that I can drink tea while cooking my dinner. That's worth 50g in my book!

I like your style, it's the last thing I need before my maiden voyage at the end of this month.

I use the Alpkit 650ml MyTi on the bike because it fits perfectly in the Alpkit Stem Cells I have. If I didn't already have them I'd use my hard anodised GSI Halulite Minimalist 600ml pot I use when on foot. That has a neoprene sleeve & snap fit lid which help when using my down coat or sleeping bag as a cosy. I use a repurposed Pot Noodle 500ml pot with lip cut off, as a very light 23g mug. Like Hamster I like a brew while I'm cooking.

I use a Alpkit Ti 650 Mug , holds a gas can and MSR pocket Rocket ,and fits a stem cell ...mounted on bars
Roll on mid week , and adventure

Attachments

• IMG_20210815_165356.jpg
    IMG_20210815_165356.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 16
Had to drop No.1 son off at Plymouth University on Friday, so took the opportunity for a small overnighter on Dartmoor, just off the old granite quarry tramway near Princetown.
Parked at the Coypool long stay (free) car park, then up the Plym Valley trail. I felt slow and struggling, but the steady gradient and ascent is deceptive. Then some big Devon hills through Hoo Meavy and Meavy to Burrator Reservoir, and onto the Tramway. By then it was nearly dark, but found a really nice spot to pitch. All fed and tucked up by 8:30.
51496153490_4b3b5efd2e_b.jpg

I was woken by drizzle on the tent at 0600, so I went back to sleep. Fortunately there was a break in the rain about 0800, so cooked breakfast and packed up, just in time for it to rain again. Got back to the car completely soaked (glad I brought my rain jacket, but overtrousers would have been good).
I was also glad I went with the little tent rather than a simple bivi bag as I didn't trust the weather forecast and have been caught out before on Dartmoor.
The bike is a 1990 Marin Palisades.
51494432402_1fe259c03e_b.jpg

Last edited:
That set up look spot on, what crank is that ?

How do you find touring on drops ?

Its the one thing I am undecided on my touring build.

Cranks are TA Alize (24/38/47). About the narrowest Q-factor I could squeeze onto the frame.
Personally I like drops for the variety of hand positions, I tend to get numbness and pins & needles in my hands. The key thing is to set the bars high enough to make using the drops comfortable. Bars are 3T Morphe, sadly discontinued - they have a short reach forward and shallow drop.

I've had this bike with drops for about 25 years so the position has evolved and refined over a long time.

Thanks Hamster 👍

I'll start with the flats because I have some 7/8 speed Deore thumbies in the parts bin and some Brahma bars and see how I get on. If that does not feel comfortable I have some drops too.

If I get bitten by the bug (i hope !!!) I shall pick your brain on the dyno set up.

Back