Retrobike Touring.

Quick trip report to get everyone making plans!
I got to Coypool Park & Ride in Plymouth a little later than planned and set off arround 1740 up the Plym Valley trail. It was a beautiful evening with lots of primroses, wood anemones and even the first brave bluebells trailside. After the usual ghastly climb out of Hoo Meavy and a similar toughie from Meavy I reached Burrator reservoir.
51982058831_2bfcd8f50f_b.jpg

This time I had worked out the way through to continue the path (lots of faffing last time), I then had a great view of the reservoir and tors in the distance.
51982126123_2cc67970ce_b.jpg

It now turns into the rougher off-road route along the old tramway to the granite quarries near Princetown. I got to my favourite spot at 1950 just before sunset.
51981052762_8c94b409f6_b.jpg

51982340574_bf3530e3a0_b.jpg

The BBC weather forecast was unfortunately spot-on and it started to rain lightly around 0200. I was already on the cool side of comfortable, having made the choice of my lighter sleeping bag. There's no fool like an old fool.
It was still raining at 0830, a quick coffee and pack everything up, then shake the tent and roll up the soggy mess. Full waterproofs were necessary, before the roll home with more descending than climbing. The Plym trail is only 20 mins on the return!
51982340889_bbc62a1bdf_b.jpg

Next time - play on the safe side and bring the thicker sleeping bag. The printed ratings on the light one were pretty much spot on, that 0C is the threshold for comfort.

Nice work!
A couple of my cycling buddies who have been very much against bike packing/camping are coming round to the idea and may join me when I get out 🤞

Excellent stuff, thanks.

How about a sleeping bag liner? (Silk?) I was thinking about one myself as I have a very old (and average) sleeping bag, and I sleep cold anyway. But no experience of them.

How about a sleeping bag liner? (Silk?) I was thinking about one myself as I have a very old (and average) sleeping bag, and I sleep cold anyway. But no experience of them.
I have always been thinking to buy one, but like you never got round to it. 🤦‍♂️
I ended up with a long sleeve cycling shirt, winter fleece top and another fleece inside the bag! Next time I'll simply bring the thicker bag seeming as I have one. I'm an idiot.

Last edited:
You'd be surprised the difference a knit beanie can make if your bag leaves your head exposed. I've tented in temperatures below 5°c, and my camp beanie has proven invaluable.View attachment 616281
That and a good mat. They are in my opinion more for insulation from the ground, which will just suck all your heat out, especially thru the compressed insulation on the back of a sleeping bag, than for comfort. It needn't be a fancy self inflating one, though. A dense foam rolling one works too

Last edited:
I find a thin, black Merino beanie is invaluable on trips - thin enough to go under a helmet if needed, keeps your head warmer in the tent and you can pull it over your eyes to act as an eye mask, plus they take up hardly any room.

I find a thin, black Merino beanie is invaluable on trips - thin enough to go under a helmet if needed, keeps your head warmer in the tent and you can pull it over your eyes to act as an eye mask, plus they take up hardly any room.

Yes, I tend to use a Buff for the same reasons, the plus point (for me) is that under the helmet it can either be worn as an ear-warmer (with the top of your head open to let heat out), or closed up to keep warmer. But it's also a snood / face covering if needs be.

Getting my set up tweaked for an overnight trip in May.

I need some advice/thoughts on handlebar bags and how people are fitting lights.

The bag/bracket I have takes up the space on my bars do I can't fit the light there. I did think of fabricating a bracket to fit the forks but the back obscures this too.

I have a blinker light for during the day for cars to see me, but wanted somewhere to fit a light so I can see that stays in place.

Any ideas, thoughts , pictures of your set up 🤔👍

Last edited:
Back