Retro-modern fusion gravel build madness. The new Superb!

......that I overshot the 130 mark by about 8mm and had to tweak it back.

132.5mm is the most intelligent spacing in the world for steel or Ti frames. Slap in any retro road or MTB hub without thinking.

Would have loved to see some pictures how you did it the cold setting.

I've only ever cold set a steel frame when I was a youth and went about it like a total idiot.

Remembered I pulled the headset off a late 40s Pug Randonneur and wondered if it could be of use to you. Was even surprised at myself I was organised and could find it. Wasn't that surprised that I hadn't been arsed to clean it.

1659801477488.png

1659801566493.png

1659801951160.png

Sadly not suitable. Crown race is that "other" obsolete French standard 26.5, and not 27.0 😞

A very quirky design and looking rustic but serviceable. Stack height came to about 35mm (12 + ~ 23) if it helps any.

Thank you - I'm waiting for a tange headset to arrive, but no idea about condition.
Looks like I can get a 27mm race for that headset for an extra tenner, so if it comes together, that would be great.
If not, I'll be bodging something else with different top & bottom cups.

I'll take a few pics of cold setting, but it's a combination of threaded rod & Sheldon's methods.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Some more Liberia info. The randonneuse in the catalogue is built for 650Bx35 and caliper brakes.

My serial is 65469.

Here's a supposedly '59 randonneuse with 88k serial.

Here's a close up of the original derailleur. Note the spring going from a wee eyelet near the bottom bracket to the mech cage. I was wondering what that mount was for.
img_2012.jpg

And yes, there's a front mech!
img_2011.jpg

Last edited:
Back