Retro frame + new components.. yes or no?

Something to be said for an old bike that has been upgraded as it has been ridden too. My Hardrock, for example, has been with me for 25 plus years, and I have replaced parts as they wore out. Twenty years ago when I needed a new saddle, I wasn't concerned about period correct, I wanted comfort. Fifteen years ago when I wanted riser bars, I wasn't looking for narrow, I went wider. When the gripeShi(f)t had to go, I wanted the best I could afford on grocery store salary. Now that I need a new crank, I can finally match the STX derailleur I thought was so awesome back in 98. Mismatched rims, mismatched hubs, this bike's history is in its mess of parts. I will not repaint either, I put those scars there.
Not every bike needs to be done in any specific style. That 'hopper is a fine piece of equipment, I hope it brings you joy.

Absolutely.
All my bikes have been upgraded as parts wear out, a la Triggers Broom. Nothing wrong with keeping a favourite frame rolli g with whatevers in tne parts bin or cheap off ebay.
Better that than someone hold you ransom over some rare defunct crankset or stem or whatever, bikes are made to be ridden as well as polished.
Bearing this in mind, I remember how bad the forks on my RSP was (elastomers) and the massive difference the SIDs made to the ride quality.
Yes its nice to keep things retro on a show bike or passion project, but if, like me, you just enjoyed the way bikes used to feel when they were steel framed and didnt cost 2k+ and changed the bb standards and wheel sizing every year or two, keeping your old steed useable is perfectly acceptable.
No offence to any of the period-correct only folk mind, I'm very new around here, and I love seeing all the beautiful bikes I could only dream about as a youngster.

Last edited:
I have one "anachronism" build, a v-brake era Titus HCR that I use as a regular rider. It's setup 1x10 with a Paul's thumbie, tall riser bars, cantilevers and a few other weird components mostly chosen for comfort and ridability. I admit to getting my dander up when I see some YouTuber hack up a good classic bikes, MIG welding disc mounts and other foolhardy, non-reversible mods, but, if you can bolt it on, you can unbolt it :)

There are quite a lot of retromod bikes on here even more if you count ones that are retro but not totally period correct. But that can be a problem with sites like this, building for approval rather than what works for you. It’s not a priceless work of art it’s just a bike and it’s reversible. I’m sure some roll their eyes when they see a retromod but negative comments seem to be rare. Period correct doesn’t automatically produce a nice looking bike anyway.

It's not against forum etiquette but it seems like a lot of people who are enthusiastic about that type of build are also crestfallen when they don't get the gushing positive praise they seek for their stunning and brave vision.

It's not against forum etiquette but it seems like a lot of people who are enthusiastic about that type of build are also crestfallen when they don't get the gushing positive praise they seek for their stunning and brave vision.
As are people who make a dogs dinner out of a period correct build. As an example with anodising being big back in the day that takes more thought than plain silver. Whilst the only person you should be building for is you sometimes less is more.

Anyway that sounded more like your opinion on them than in general as I’ve seen plenty of retromod threads that have positive comments.

It’s funny in a way how people are so concerned about the look of a static bike, a view you never see when you’re actually riding it. Up to a point I’m over that probably with the exception of the frame, don’t like scrapes and chips. I’ve decided the bits you see when you are riding need to be nice, the rest if it looks equally nice then that’s great, if just neat and tidy that’s good enough. NOS being the biggest waste of money of the lot unless it was a bargain or you just look at your bike.

Last edited:
extends the life of the frame and given the costs of a half decent new bike it works out at much better value

Couldn't agree more - leaving the older retro components and kit to be used on full retro builds.
Both have their place - I have an Orange O2 with more modern stuff on it - and full retro builds .

Triggers broom is very appropriate - all our builds evolved bitd - different tyres, mechs etc. We may have started with a factory spec - but how long did it last in use?

Its your bike, build it and ride it how you want it. So its not period correct.....the past wasn't all perfect and things have moved on ( some better, some worse), but why not pool good parts together!

Anybody who bought a new bike in 1989, never kept it exactly as it was, it got " upgraded"......ok the upgrades might have been like putting a big spring kit on an XR3i, but they were you upgrades!

If it works for you and gets you out on the trails, more power to you.

Fetch me the freewheel catalogue and the postal order form from the back!

i personally have got back into the retro bikes(bikes i loved but couldnt really afford when i was at that age) at the start of lockdown.My first real mtb was a 94 giant mcm team frame which i brought new back then and built it up as to what i could afford at the time,even getting 6 months credit for a pair of spins.anyway it sat in my parents shed all this time and through boredom of lockdown i grabbed it and started upgrading parts on it,xtr,judy sl's etc.now i have the total bug of collecting retro bikes from my time of riding.......but i dont stick to what the PURISTS expect/like.i keep it within the same sort of era but enjoy pimping my bikes up to how i imagine them to look cool,not factory spec,i now have 2 mcm team bikes,2 zaskar le bikes a cannondale f700 and a team rts,some have custom sprayed components and all are totally original to me which is what i enjoy.sooooo to cut a long story short DO WHAT YOU WANT....WHO CARES lol

Back