Restore or not? 1987 Fisher Mt Tam

sq_root_of_2

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I just received this as a trade and wondering what I should do with it.

I have most of the bits to make it original but there are some issues surrounding the restoration. The first of them for me are as follows:

1. I would like to paint it to prevent it from rusting and generally looking bad. I don't have the correct decals nor do I think I can get them. Can I?

2. Whether or not to cut the steerer. It is an original Fisher (Teesdale) fillet brazed fork, same as the frame, but should I cut it to fit this tiny frame?

The measurements are:
ST CtC = 16 inches
TT CtC = 19.5 inches
Head Tube = 3.5 inches
Steerer = 6.5 inches with 1.5 inches of thread

All opinions and/or ideas welcome...cheers!!

Attachments

• a Mt Tam1.jpg
    a Mt Tam1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 2,179
  • a Mt Tam3.jpg
    a Mt Tam3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,178
  • a Mt Tam4.jpg
    a Mt Tam4.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2,179
  • a Mt Tam2.jpg
    a Mt Tam2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2,180
Decals couldn't be a big problem! Just ask Gil. He made some really nice new decals for my Mt Tam from 1991.
And I really don't think your problem with the steerer should stop you restoring it ;)

Re: Restore or not? 16 Fisher Inch Mt Tam

If you want it looking box fresh then paint it. You can get a set of decals made up easily enough.

If you do paint it, will you ride it or will it just sit as another soul less garage queen? I'd do whichever would make me ride it more often.

As for chopping the steerer down it would look better than a stack of spacers. The chances of finding one of the correct length are slim. If you ever get hold of a bigger frame that you need the fork for then the chances of finding another long steerer are just as slim. :? I'd go down the chop it to size route. There are enough frame builders out there that can replace the steerer for a longer one so you could even run ahead if you wanted to.

i say build it up, ride it and THEN decide to repaint/restore, as well as if you should chop the steerer. why do anything hasty before knowing how much you'll end up liking the bike?

If there is a 'TT' stamped near the serial number on the BB, it might be more of a prize than it first appears. Nice find!

Thanks for the comments and ideas so far.

The bike is intended to be for my wife to ride. She would like to have something that looks nice and not as chipped as this is. She isn't as concerned about the originality of it all but of course I am. :)

It is stamped TT on the bb. It is a Teesdale frame.

You could always decide you have enough on your plate with other projects and sell it to me instead... ;)

No, seriously, as for the forks I'd hang on to those for a later date and put some P2s on it... :cool:

Those Teesdale frames were beautifully made, with quality right up there with Ritchey. I would at the very least, repaint it. The fork, of course, would be cut to fit the frame-where are you ever gonna find another Teesdale fork to match-then sent with the frame to the painter. The build specs and color I would leave up to the wife, as there would be no arguments about color, etc. later! But definitely hang onto it!

As far as I see it, the Teesdale forks belong with that Teesdale frame. Even if you end up selling the bike on in a few years the new owner is never going to find a fork more suited to the frame, especially if you get the frame, forks and stem all resprayed together. Nice find!

Latest posts

Back