1991 Gary Fisher Mt Tam - Restoration Project

ScooterPie

Dirt Disciple
I purchased a 1991 Gary Fisher Mt Tam this week. The bike is in relatively good condition and includes most of the original hardware. I purchased the bike from the original owner who bought the bike at Fisher in Marin. This was the first production mountain bike to come with a suspension fork; the Rock Shox RS1 (Yes, the latest RS fork has the same name). The original owner used the bike mostly for triathlons, so she hasn't seen much trail abuse. It has scratches, some rust, but the components are in very good to excellent condition with little wear. There are no dents and the drop outs are perfect.

The wheels are in pretty good shape but the original alloy nipples are cracked and brittle and seized on some spokes. I replaced the single broken spoke in front, and two broken on the rear to see if the wheels are OK; they are. They need a rebuild but I can build with the original Araya RM-17 rims. The original spokes are 14/15 double butted, Wheelsmith. While I want to keep it all original, I'll go with 14 gauge straight Wheelsmith spokes on the rear.

The original XT Group is intact with the exception of the shift levers. The original shift levers have been removed from the brake lever mounts, and Shimano Altus 7 speed window levers installed - ugh! Not sure if the original shifters broke or the original owner may have wanted the visual feedback of the gear indicators. I'll need to get a new pair off Ebay. I may go with XT brake levers, and the Deore XT thumb shifters if I can find a good deal on those. The first generation of these 1991 Mt Tams came with thumb shifters; as can be seen in the 1991 Fisher catalog.

The 1991 Mt Tam utilized a few other parts outside of the Shimano XT Group. The seat post is a Nitto 67, and Fisher used his own Evolution headset and BB. This bike has all of these items in great condition.

The elephant in the room: The RS1 Rock Shox are in great physical shape but you can no longer get rebuild kits or special tools required for regular folks to work on the forks. Luckily, the folks at Risse Racing can rebuild for me to better than factory specs! This was the big piece of the puzzle for this restoration... with the 1 1/4" Evolution headset, it makes fork replacement difficult at best. There really is no other fork for this bike, it being the first production MTB to come with suspension fork is really a big point of the build.

Odds n Ends: The saddle that came on this bike is so ugly! It's such a city bike with the sprung gel saddle and skinny tires. I need to find a Fisher saddle from the period or I may stray from factory specs and use an old Selle Italia if I can find the right one at a good price. Original tires will be hard to find too, but that's something I don't mind changing out. The Deore XT pedals are perfect, but the Fisher toe clips and lizard foot straps are MIA. I don't think I'll be able to find those but they would really be a nice detail. If you have some, let me know.

I'm not going to paint, as I like the worn look, but I am going to completely clean, restore and rebuild every part.

Attachments

• fisher mt tam 1.jpg
    fisher mt tam 1.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 1,024
  • fisher mt tam 2.jpg
    fisher mt tam 2.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 1,016
The Shimano Deore XT Group is dirty but in very good condition. It will clean up nice. The XT cranks still have the dust caps which often went missing. The drivetrain is excellent. I didn't clean or lube the bike and did just a quick adjustment of the gears and it shifts and drives really well; solid and smooth. Once cleaned and lubed this will function as new.

Attachments

• fisher mt tam rear der.jpg
    fisher mt tam rear der.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 997
  • fisher mt tam drivetrain.jpg
    fisher mt tam drivetrain.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 996
  • fisher mt tam drivetrain 2.jpg
    fisher mt tam drivetrain 2.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 996
I need to find original XT shifters to replace these Altus shifters.

Attachments

• fisher mt tam cockpit.jpg
    fisher mt tam cockpit.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 988
  • fisher mt tam missing shifter.jpg
    fisher mt tam missing shifter.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 989
The Mt Tam was made in Japan from Tange Prestige.

Attachments

• fisher mt tam japan.jpg
    fisher mt tam japan.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 995
  • fisher mt tam tange.jpg
    fisher mt tam tange.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 996
The Rock Shox RS1 was the first production suspension fork. It was developed by Paul Turner. Gary Fisher designed the 1991 Mt Tam around the RS1 and was first to market with a suspension bike. Just about every manufacturer had a suspension fork on a bike in 1992. Risse Racing from Oregon, builds suspension for many (all?) bikes and rebuilds many popular (all?) forks. I'm going to have my RS1's rebuilt there. They replace the rubber air seal (on the RS1, you use a ball needle to pump in air, like blowing up a basketball) with a proper Schrader valve. Supposedly they work better than new after being restored by Risse. I'm excited that I can, at least, ride them with confidence... the fact that they will work like new is a dream come true.

Attachments

• fisher mt tam head.jpg
    fisher mt tam head.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 995
  • fisher mt tam shox.jpg
    fisher mt tam shox.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 994
Re:

The bike looks great. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with Risse and the fork rebuild.

Nice bike, it already looks in really good condition.

Looking forward to more updates on this. You could try posting in the wanted section for saddle and other parts, you never know :)

Mark

ScooterPie":1p446ykc said:
I need to find original XT shifters to replace these Altus shifters.

Hi, great bike :cool:!
I have some st-m091 brifters surplus, if those are what you're after?

Risse Racing

jimo746":353r9ucz said:
The bike looks great. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with Risse and the fork rebuild.
Thanks! I spoke with Risse today on the phone; excellent customer service. They issued me an RA number to send them the Rock Shox for rebuild. They were very friendly on the phone and quoted me the same $125 price as listed on their site. They explained the caps would be replaced and a Schrader valve will be used instead of the needle ball valve as original. This is a nice improvement. They are currently looking at 'about a week' turn around. These shocks are really important to this build so I am happy to have an experienced company like Risse do the work. I have high hopes.

mkone":1y9hky69 said:
Nice bike, it already looks in really good condition.

Looking forward to more updates on this. You could try posting in the wanted section for saddle and other parts, you never know :)

Mark

Thanks! That is a good idea to post in the wanted section. Like you said, the bike is in really good condition with mostly original parts, so I am lucky--little is needed.

Back