Replica Ritchey Z Max- seems like we´ve been heard!

now that retro bikes have become the latest thing i bet the will be blooming expensive. i would love a set for my 1995 specialized rockhopper but im not prepared to pay loads just to have the retro looking tyres to finish it off.

Yeah, I bet they won't be cheap. I also know that I'm an idiot who will no doubt, after a bit of 'buy it now' hovering, buy some anyway. :) Bit bored of Smoke/Darts, good to have another new old option.

Last edited:
Yeah, I bet they won't be cheap. I also know that I'm an idiot who will no doubt, after a bit of 'buy it now' hovering, will buy some anyway. :) Bit bored of Smoke/Darts, good to have another new old option.
be nice to see a bit more competition to be honest as the smoke/dart combo has had the market all to themselves for too long. I'd love to see the IRC range come back myself.

Taken from the group on Facebook:

Product Announcement

Welcome to Looptail™. Beginning in 2024 I’ll be offering a few thoughtful products for lovers of vintage mountain bikes, early BMX cruisers and klunkers.
I’ve got some olde-tyme history in the bicycle business and have designed & sourced products for a variety of brands in the past. Yes, that is my scribbled handwriting on the Surly™ downtube. Thankfully I still have a few contacts from those days, and for almost a year now I have been working with friends old and new to bring forth a few items you may appreciate.
To those of you still riding & using the old hardware as intended – this project is for you.

My first offering is a line of high-quality, period-correct tires. Our favorite old designs are worn, threadbare & no longer safe for spirited use. We don’t want cheap gumwalls, improved tread designs, stuff that doesn’t fit, or 14” long multicolored logos, but with a couple of exceptions, that’s pretty much all we’ve got these days.

The process of tire development is protracted, expensive, and requires patience. But working with one of the best suppliers in the world has its advantages, and I am confident you will be pleased with what I am working to deliver.
Here’s what is coming:

Tire #1 is the Snake Belly™. I have a formal agreement with Panaracer - the original designer and manufacturer of the iconic Snake Belly™ tire - to again produce this gem. Not a tribute, a copy, or a cheap replica, but a high-quality, lightweight, 65psi version featuring the exact original tread pattern. 26x2.125”, natch. If you ride a klunker, cruiser or MTB from the ‘80-‘84 era, you will certainly appreciate this tire.

Tire #2 is in development. You’ll maybe like it.

Tires #3 and #4 are the Ritchey Megabite Z-Max™ tires in 2.1” and 2.35” widths. Yes there will be W.C.S. versions, and colors too. I am proud to have a formal licensing agreement with Ritchey Design to reproduce these brilliantly functional tires, which are perfectly at-home on late 80’s through early 90’s mountain bikes.

I plan to have tire #1 available by the end of this summer, and will share more when appropriate. I thank you in advance for your support.
#panaracer #ritcheylogic

Back