Remote Lectures

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
I have done a couple of lecture tours of UK to promote my book, but that is not currently possible. I have toyed with using Skype to present a PowerPoint that I created to help my lecture, but I have decided that I hate PowerPoint, at least in that context.

My current idea is to present the lecture remotely, using the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame exhibits to illustrate the talk. I could use Skype, Zoom, Facebook or any other remote service.

The idea is to limit the number of participants, so those watching could engage, ask questions and the like.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Re:

I've used Zoom a little; that was simple and effective. I've used MS Teams quite a lot: you can stage a 'live event' with 100s of people and they can chip in with questions and comments in a sidebar. However, personally, it's not a piece of software I like at all: everything but the kitchen sink seems to be being added to it, making it a bit bloated and convoluted. Google Meet might be worth investigating: I haven't used it though. A free Google account allows meetings of up to about 100 people, if I remember correctly.

If you want an alternative to PowerPoint, you could try Microsoft's Sway. When used well, it can be very good, but it can take a little while to get used to its way of working: it's not complicated, just a bit different.

I've just started reading your book, BTW: very good and very well written. :cool:

Re: Re:

CassidyAce":1afzjbeu said:
If you want an alternative to PowerPoint, you could try Microsoft's Sway. When used well, it can be very good, but it can take a little while to get used to its way of working: it's not complicated, just a bit different.

On my last lecture tour I took a last second gig at a pub in Hebdon Bridge. They had no setup for a PP presentation, so I just stood on the third step of a flight of stairs and talked.

It was far more entertaining than my PP lecture, and I immediately quit using it. Anyone can do a slide show, but I am far more entertaining than that. if I am in the museum, I won't need pictures of the bikes I can handle.

Re:

If you’re confident and entertaining as a speaker and can present in an ‘ideal’ environment, such as a bike museum, I personally wouldn’t feel the need for pp.

Back