rebuilding my Fausto Coppi Galaxy

It looks very nice but I wonder what the ride is like. Is it as harsh as any other modern aluminium bike or did the Italians (I presume) manage to get some flexibility in the rear triangle. There is another yellow one with a carbon front fork on auction currently at about 100 usd.

i have had this frame about 20 years now, i have never felt it to be harsh to be honest, obviously with the stiffening webbing at the headtube and seat cluster and BB you would think it might be harsh but i have never felt that it was an issue and for the most part i prefer steel frames but i like the ride of this bike.

i have since rebuilt it though as i have put a the ITM millenium fork/stem/bar/post back in and refitted the 10speed Record, i did this as i wanted the 9 speed group for another project which i will be doing a thread for.

Just purchased a yellow Coppi Aluminium Galaxy from ebay... the frame is in OK condition, the rest of the components are a mesh mash and will be binned. My plan is to restore as best I can. Am I right in thinking these would have been fitted with Dura Ace 7700 originally? Happy to consider Campag, what would the equivalent be from that era? Any help or advice on the original spec would be amazing, been riding for years but this will be my first restoration project

Here it is - Coppi Aluminium Galaxy

I assume I will struggle to find some original forks as I'm pretty sure these aren't the originals?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
you can look for a small carbon fiber forks like a Mizuno (GIOS used them with steelmade Evolution type too) or similar ... or a non-labeled LOOK LDS Pro eventually instead an origin one

Happy to consider Campag, what would the equivalent be from that era?

the scary-priced Record Titanium would be the dura ace 7700 equivalent.

columbus minimal fork might look good but you would need to convert to a threadless setup for that

threadless is noc Problem - I did it with my Kelme LOOK and my MAPEI Colnago C40 ... you have to carefully rub out the thread of a Shimano DURA ACE HS-7410 with a reamer and leave the nut ... (see attached
IMG_0805.JPG IMG_0806.JPG IMG_0497.JPG pics)

Just purchased a yellow Coppi Aluminium Galaxy from ebay... the frame is in OK condition, the rest of the components are a mesh mash and will be binned. My plan is to restore as best I can. Am I right in thinking these would have been fitted with Dura Ace 7700 originally? Happy to consider Campag, what would the equivalent be from that era? Any help or advice on the original spec would be amazing, been riding for years but this will be my first restoration project
Yeah 7700 should be period correct, I believe 1995 was the last year of 7410 before they switched to the new group. If it's a Yellow Polti replica then Shimano is the correct manufacturer. Not sure about MG-GB but I'd wager Shimano too. A San Marco Concor Light would also be a good saddle if you're making a team replica.

in 1996 the 1st Pro-Team got at start of season the Dura Ace 7700 9-speed groupset - you need in these time a no-slipssystem Selle San Marco
I can offer if you like an origin Rolls from 1995, which has been embroidered with ... Fausto COPPI by Masciaghi IMG_1364.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1365.jpeg
    IMG_1365.jpeg
    420.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back