Rear mech help

dandy1

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
OK, this slightly more modern stuff is new to me! Normally with older set ups (7, 8, 9 speed) you get the upper jockey wheel up close to the small cog on the cassette.

I've gone 10 speed on the rocky and this just doesn't look right. It's sitting too far away? I see newer derailleurs come with extenders, I presume to run larger cassettes, but even having a larger cassette wouldn't sort this.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I setting it up wrong?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220319_141902.jpg
    IMG_20220319_141902.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 42
The extender piece is about Shimano's direct mount system. In essence some bikes (mine included) have a longer mech hanger and you remove that link piece. In your photo that link piece (B-Link) should be facing backwards from the mount.

Shimano dropped that design for 12 speed

I'm no expert either but I setup mine like this with the hanger extension pointing back. I haven't had any problems with it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220319-103259_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220319-103259_Gallery.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 22
Thanks everyone. I did have a go at moving it around but it seemed to only fit in a certain direction. Could it be because the extender isn't a genuine shimano?

Give me 9 speed any day 😂

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Is the B-Link extender the correct orientation. The original seems to step the mech outboard a little, yours steps in inboard a little. If it was the other way round would it sit against the hanger better? I mean switch it end to end, rather than back to front.

Hard to tell without seeing the back of it

Mmm the one with the mech is similar shape. I'll have another go tomorrow and see if it'll fit another way. If not I'll have to suck it up and buy a genuine shimano

Latest posts

Back