Raleigh Randonneur 708 1997

doctor-bond

Feature Bike
Re:

Peteee, that’s such a shame - your variant is so rare.

I can’t be sure from the photos: has it gone where the down tube meets the bottom of the head tube lug, and at the chainstays?

The BB area on yours is different to mine - no doubt for the Cyclo-X requirements: the crimps are more pronounced, no ‘pip’ and a different BB shell.

Although it looks bad, is it worth looking at repair? A bit like the ancient AGA, steel frames are endlessly rebuildable.

peetee

Senior Retro Guru
Re: Re:

doctor-bond":hr5wbh5l said:
Peteee, that’s such a shame - your variant is so rare.

I can’t be sure from the photos: has it gone where the down tube meets the bottom of the head tube lug, and at the chainstays?

The BB area on yours is different to mine - no doubt for the Cyclo-X requirements: the crimps are more pronounced, no ‘pip’ and a different BB shell.

Although it looks bad, is it worth looking at repair? A bit like the ancient AGA, steel frames are endlessly rebuildable.

Yes the down tube crack has started at the tip of the head tube lug. It’s a rounded edge, not a point and not especially thick so not an excessive step-change. The chain stay crack has migrated from the rather thick bracket shell.
It is repairable With two new tubes but given the apparent non-standard tubes it’s probably not economically viable. Who’s to say any of the others won’t go the same way? The fact that the failed ones did is a bit of a mystery, after all.
Whilst it was undeniably, a great frameset, the lack of a second set of bottle bosses and mudguard and rack eyes made it less than perfect for what I needed.
As for being endlessly rebuildable, that’s not strictly true. Heat-treated steel such as 708 is not tolerant of excessive heat either in terms of absolute temperature or repeated exposure.

doctor-bond

Feature Bike
Re:

Hear you about the practicalities of repair.

What are your plans for it? There maybe someone out there willing to buy it as a project; or put it on the wall as a memento mori?

Please don’t scrap it; if push came to shove I’d give it cave room.

peetee

Senior Retro Guru
Re:

I am hanging on to it until I can establish whether or not it is built from a standard set of frame tubes. There is a slight possibility it was a frame built during the development of the 708 Touristique tubeset. Information is scarce but Reynolds themselves have promised to get back to me.