Raleigh Dynaflite SBDU 753.... 'Manager Special'

By the way, to be more positive, there's a chance I still have a spare rubber belt for the huret mileometer if you need it. I'd have to check though, I might have already passed it on, I know I had one

I really don't "get" this bike.
I understand your enthusiasm for all things sbdu and it's uniqueness for any collector, but if this were likened to cars, I see something hand built coming out of the Ferrari factory - a testerrossa with a fiat 1600cc engine, wheels with balloon tyres and a roof rack on top.
Apologies if that spoils the party and I'm happy you've acquired a unicorn, but, hell, no
This is what I love about the bike, that many may not get it and are completely baffled and confused. For me it because it's so completely wrong and bonkers it makes perfect sense. It was built to highlight the very best frame building skills Raleigh had to offer and was presented to Raleigh's Chairman Ian Phillips to celebrate Raleigh's victory at the 1980 Tour de France...🇬🇧

I understand your enthusiasm for all things sbdu and it's uniqueness for any collector, but if this were likened to cars, I see something hand built coming out of the Ferrari factory - a testerrossa with a fiat 1600cc engine, wheels with balloon tyres and a roof rack on top.
Apologies if that spoils the party and I'm happy you've acquired a unicorn, but, hell, no
er

1024px-Lamborghini_LM002_Gen1_Type129_1986-1993_1988_frontleft_2013-03-17_U.JPG

ummmm...

lambo-tractor-3-featured.jpg

Well if we're going to go off topic the Ferrari Dino 246 GTS has a 2.4 Litre V6 Fiat powerplant and Campagnolo wheels were an option... around £300,000 should get you a driver..😁

1973-ferrari-dino-246-gts-chairs-flares-by-scaglietti_0.jpg Ferrari_Dino_246_GTS_1974_31.jpeg

This is what I love about the bike, that many may not get it and are completely baffled and confused. For me it because it's so completely wrong and bonkers it makes perfect sense. It was built to highlight the very best frame building skills Raleigh had to offer and was presented to Raleigh's Chairman Ian Phillips to celebrate Raleigh's victory at the 1980 Tour de France...🇬🇧
But what a waste, he barely rode the damn thing. Back when I were a lad, we'd have swapped our girlfriends for a nice sbdu frame and used it properly, although we still wouldn't have won any medals.
It smacks of the billionaire with no appreciation of art hanging a van Gogh in a barn

But what a waste, he barely rode the damn thing. Back when I were a lad, we'd have swapped our girlfriends for a nice sbdu frame and used it properly, although we still wouldn't have won any medals.
It smacks of the billionaire with no appreciation of art hanging a van Gogh in a barn
A bit like buying a Maybach or a Rolls Royce and only ever sitting in the back seats you mean?

Back