Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

Re:

Had to bump this - spent a good couple hours reading through it again - this should be a sticky as there is so much history
A shame many of Steve bikemeister2000’s posted articles magazine cutouts and photos have vanished - perhaps due to photo hosting site - if only he could re-upload using Retrobike direct upload

Re:

Hello everyone

after a long time I would like to report back today. To show a little color here is my recently acquired Raleigh USA Titanium CX 700. It is a special model for the ZEG in Germany, which will receive some attention in the next few days.

Best regards from Mainhatten

Re:

Anyone know what the differences between this Trimmell design fork (on this dynatech decade) and a trimmel fork on a Torus or XLite - such as this:

Attachments

• CB0D71E7-C456-40BC-80B8-DAA48B42E83E.jpeg
    CB0D71E7-C456-40BC-80B8-DAA48B42E83E.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 769
  • 41F3D913-72C9-48E4-812C-9C5E1CC5983F.jpeg
    41F3D913-72C9-48E4-812C-9C5E1CC5983F.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 769
Re:

Here is my Dyna-tech Aspin.
I've owned it since I bought it new in 1995 from Peter Hansford Cycles, Oliver's Battery near Winchester. I used it to commute to work in Southampton in between 1995 and 2005 alongside a Raleigh Randonneur 708 for when I needed to carry things or when the weather was really poor.
I fitted double sided SPDs back in the day, they were PD-M535 MTB pedals. Being double sided they were easy to use in city traffic. Over the years, I've kept double sided pedals on it for that reason.

I had some strong, reliable wheels built for it by Rotrax Cycles in Southampton as broke the front rim and I was also riding the bike for longer rides on weekends. Original wheels were silver 32H Mavics on RSX hubs.

Both bikes came with me when I moved to New Zealand in 2005 but like an idiot I sold the Randonneur in around 2008. Advice for others: “If you like it, DON’T sell it!”
The Dyna-tech has been a fair-weather bike since then and has done around 15,000 Kilometres.

I can’t really provide you with an objective description of how it rides as the only comparison that I have is the Randonneur. Suffice to say that I grin every time I ride it and it feels fast and smooth. I bought it hoping that I would keep it forever and it’s still going. It gets some attention now that steel frames are a little bit more popular, especially as it’s in quite good condition.

I’ve always maintained it carefully, but it has a few flaws. The forks will need to be re-chromed in the next few years. The rear derailleur is losing some of its chrome and some of the stickers are looking a bit tatty.

Apart from a few changes to improve it, saddle, stem and wheels, the only part to have failed was the original RSX headset. A Shimano Ultegra/600 HP-6500 headset lasted from 1997 until 2018 when one of the bearings wore out and I couldn't find a replacement. I fitted the Campag Record headset as I think it's in keeping with the look of the bike. The STI levers needed taking apart last year as the grease went hard. That was a mission. But they work very smoothly now.

In case you’re interested, here are the specs:
Saddle: Brooks B17 Honey
Headset: Campagnolo Record

Wheels built by Rotrax Cycles, Southampton
Rims: Mavic Open SUP CD 36H
Hubs: Shimano Ultegra FH-6400 and HB-6400
Tyres: Michelin Dynamic Classic 700x25, Continental innertubes

Stem: Italmanubri Eclypse
Handlebars: Whatever came with the bike!
Bar tape: Cinelli Cork
Brakes: Shimano RSX front and rear
Levers: Shimano RSX STI 7 speed

Crankset: Shimano RSX 46,36
Pedals: Random brand SPD
Cassette: Shimano 12-28
Front Mech: Shimano RSX
Rear Mech: Shimano RSX 7 speed

Attachments

• DTSMALL_001.JPG
    DTSMALL_001.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 733
  • DTSMALL_002.JPG
    DTSMALL_002.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 733
  • DTSMALL_003.JPG
    DTSMALL_003.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 732
  • DTSMALL_004.JPG
    DTSMALL_004.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 731
  • DTSMALL_005.JPG
    DTSMALL_005.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 731
  • DTSMALL_006.JPG
    DTSMALL_006.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 731
  • DTSMALL_007.JPG
    DTSMALL_007.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 731
  • DTSMALL_008.JPG
    DTSMALL_008.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 733
Re: Re:

Hi Ibbz

Original version on the Decade are chunkier and slightly more 'crude' - the legs are a constant diameter and painted, the 2 yokes are welded to the legs rather than clamped and the alloy dropouts are welded from 2 pieces.

Newer version on the Torus have polished tapered legs, the 2 yokes & stems are clamp on, the alloy dropouts are more slender cast/forged items.

ibbz":3jwjmdw7 said:
Anyone know what the differences between this Trimmell design fork (on this dynatech decade) and a trimmel fork on a Torus or XLite - such as this:

Re: Re:

Caramba Kid":kkcjfb79 said:
Hi Ibbz

Original version on the Decade are chunkier and slightly more 'crude' - the legs are a constant diameter and painted, the 2 yokes are welded to the legs rather than clamped and the alloy dropouts are welded from 2 pieces.

Newer version on the Torus have polished tapered legs, the 2 yokes & stems are clamp on, the alloy dropouts are more slender cast/forged items.

ibbz":kkcjfb79 said:

Thank you!

been a while , ive just read thru this entire 151 pages,

sad to see my white diablo on page 57 with the mint stickers before they were removed , if anyone knows where this frame ended up id be interested,

kicking myself for selling my dynatechs especially the torus , never mind what a great read this thread has been

Back