Raleigh 753 SB7191 Malcolm Elliot's Team Weinmann New ud-P3

Maca

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Thought I'd start a thread on this build now that its about to start.

Going back to some point last year Hillary Stone was parting out some of his own frame collection. Being a Raleigh (SBDU) fan I noticed this one straight away.

SB7191 .... early 1985

It was a 753 but in a custom paint job. On closer inspection as well as having things like a number plate tag it also had the unusual (for Raleigh) simplex drop outs and front mech bolt.
Hillary advised that it had been sold to him as an ex Malcolm Elliot team frame, while he could not 100% prove it nor did he have any reason to disbelieve the person he got it from. A deal was done ..... it was my size after all.

Once I had the frame in my possession I did some more research to try and confirm was it or wasn't it. I can't be 100% sure but I'm 99.99 % it was / is a Malcolm Elliot frame.

So what did I find out ....

Its the right size to be and ME frame.
Its 1 digit away from another known ME frame which is SB7190 (also has the simplex fittings).
It was only the team bikes that SBDU really fitted with the Simplex bits.
The domestic Weinmann team did not stamp riders initials on the BB.

So based on this the decision was taken to fully restore it to team spec:

Weinmann Paint Job
Simplex 4000 Rear Mech
Simplex 422 Front Mech
Simplex Friction gear levers
Ofmega / EDCO crank depending which pictures or specs you look at
Ofmega / EDCO head set depending which pictures or specs you look at
Cinelli Bars and Stem
Weinmann Carrera 400 brakes
Maillard 700 hubs
Weinmann Carrera Rims
Turbo Saddle
Simplex Seat Post

Heres the frame as it stands.....

Attachments

• Frame 5.1.jpg
    Frame 5.1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 2,752
  • Frame 4.1.jpg
    Frame 4.1.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 2,752
  • Frame 3.1.jpg
    Frame 3.1.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 2,750
  • Frame 2.1.jpg
    Frame 2.1.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 2,752
  • Frame 1.1.jpg
    Frame 1.1.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 2,754
Re: Raleigh 753 SB7191 Malcolm Elliot's - Team Weinmann

This is what we're aiming for ....

Attachments

• ME Ral2.jpg
    ME Ral2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,756
  • ME Ral.jpg
    ME Ral.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 2,757
  • team1.jpg
    team1.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 2,759
Re: Re:

roadking":3m87vemn said:
Where did you find the team photo ?

Rk.

Just on line, that's 85 version there is also this 84 picture

Attachments

• team2.1.jpg
    team2.1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2,692

As I mentioned I've had the frame for a little while and didn't really do much with it as the parts looked like they were going to be very hard to find indeed. So as we all do I guess I kept looking and kept doing random searches.
But nothing much ever came up, it was the brakes that seemed to be one of the hardest bits.

Then quite by chance while looking at a Facebook page a few weeks ago there they were. A virtually NOS set of Weinmann Carrera 400 brakes.

The callipers had been used (but not much), but the levers, cables and blocks hadn't. The seller was asking if they had any value ........ hello ... Yes !!! :)

A deal was done which I felt was very fair, the seller was happy to know what they were going on and that they'd be used.

A week or so later and after a smallish fee (they came from the states) these little beauties were with me and they kick started the build.

Attachments

• brakes.1.jpg
    brakes.1.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 2,692

Was curious as to exactly where you found them as I knew George Shaw BiTD, he passed away only recently.

Rk.

Re:

What a fabulous project, and so much trickier with the mix of components. One thing that puzzled me is the quoted spec for the team bikes stated Edco chainsets whereas all the photos of the team bikes seemed to have the Ofmega Mistral . My knowledge of both of these brands is limited but were they the same? . Good luck with the build , looking forward to watching it progress.

marshalllucky":6q7lflo3 said:
What a fabulous project, and so much trickier with the mix of components. One thing that puzzled me is the quoted spec for the team bikes stated Edco chainsets whereas all the photos of the team bikes seemed to have the Ofmega Mistral . My knowledge of both of these brands is limited but were they the same? . Good luck with the build , looking forward to watching it progress.

Thanks, the Ofmega Mistral and EDCO competition cranks are very different and I don't think they were linked. Where as I did learn (I didn't know before) that EDCO and Weinmann were linked.
Any way as you say all the pics I can find still show Ofmega cranks, it seems and I could be very wrong that the although the 85 spec was EDCO that the early 85 bikes (which mine is) were still racing with Ofmega.

The Replica that was available in 85 and a Pic I have from Dec 85 do show the EDCO crank.

I have sourced a Ofmega crank but am in two minds whether to use it or go EDCO ?

Had a bit of spare time today so knocked this up, will never be exact but close enough I think.

Attachments

• plate 1.jpg
    plate 1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 2,612

I had a set of those brakes. I think they have an alloy spindle. DO NOT use the Weinmann centreing tool (like an inverted allen key) on the hex in the middle of the spindle - it will round it off pretty much instantly, then you'll have to cannibalise a set of old Weinmann 500 calipers to get the (steel) spindles. Centre the brakes using more conventional means, i.e. turning the brake and the fixing nut at the same time.

Back