Proflex Attack LE purchased!

I fancy a Girvin fork. Not words often thought, let alone written down. I've seen one on Ebay for £299. They must be having a laugh. I'd be more interested in a worn out example, even if I needed to fabricate replacement parts. It would stop me from fabricating the whole thing myself, which I'm looking into. I wonder if I'm mentally ill?

Re:

Why? It’s just a challenge you may set yourself. Just like climbing Everest or seeing every class 793 engine or collecting all the spice girls’ singles.

Well, I've much improved the Quadra 5s by cleaning and lubing. They were dropping when I sat on board but not really returning, they are now reasonably smooth. 48mm isn't much travel, especially when some of it is accounted for with sag. I've backed off the preload on the left hand leg, which means I get more sag than I want but at least the top cap is staying in place. I'd love to get hold of a replacement cap but I won't pay $53 for an NOS.
I've built 5 self designed, road worthy lightweight sports cars, making my own suspension components from scratch. I had no problem replacing the rear end of a Voodoo Canzo with a steel one. It vastly improved the handling and turned a dog into something quite nice. Therefore the self build option looks favourite.
I'm looking at a modified version of the Girvin Vector with 3" of travel, using a 165mm air shock. It will raise the handlebar by 30mm to begin with and I'll raise the front end further to get a more raked steering head and allow for the longer travel. Watch this space.

Re:

You can fit an air shock such as the Fox Float to the Girvin fork without too much difficulty (shock length and stroke should be considered, also where the air valve and any external adjusters will end up once fitted, it can be a tight squeeze!).

Risse Racing USA did and still do a range of air shocks that are a direct replacement for the Noleen or Girvin shocks, front and rear.

You should look at the idriders Proflex forum (link below), there may be details on shock conversions in there.
Several years ago someone on that forum made adapters to allow use of an air shock on the rear, which is what I did with my 857.

http://www.idriders.com/proflex/

Back