The "NO BOB GIRVIN"

Duxuk

Retro Guru
I recently acquired a Proflex Attack LE and am pleased with many aspects of it. The rear end has a new elastomer from SuspesionForkParts in the USA. It keeps the rear wheel feeling planted and is definitely better than a hardtail for grip on stoney surfaces. The front end, meanwhile, is poor. The Rockshox Quadra 5 may be a little tired. It sags a good way when I apply my weight and the rest of the travel is notchy. My first fork, in 1995, was a Quadra 10 so I'd been expecting mediocrity, at best.
If you ever read the homepage of my MTB blog https://wordpress.com/media/mountainbiker.home.blog you'd know that the Q 10 wasn't really my first fork. That accolade goes to a homemade leading link fork I made for my "scrambler" in 1977. I was 15 years old and had found that the best sport I'd ever done was ride a beaten up old pushbike off road, basically mountain biking but with a different name. I know now that many of us had this same experience and I don't doubt that others made suspension forks but no one I knew had done so. When I heard Charlie Kelly speak about the origins of MTB I had the chance to ask him if they'd ever thought about suspension in those days. After early but unsuccessful attempts it took until around 1990 for things to really get going. If I'd been in Marin county in the seventies I could have changed the whole course of MTB history but instead my fork fractured after a few month so I was back to rigid forks.
Now I have the skills and equipment to make a much better fork I thought that it would be an exciting project. What I'm doing has been in the planning for a month or so and will be easily reversible so I can't be accused of ruining a historical artifact of such importance as the Proflex.
I love linkage forks so I already own 2 early Whytes and had one when they were current. I like the Girvin Vector but thought I could improve the anti bob characteristics to mimic the Whyte linkage hence the "No Bob Girvin". I've made some changes to the linkages and will achieve 3 inches or a little more of travel. I'll also be able to improve the rather head down riding position with a longer steerer tube also housing the top linkage mount. The longer travel fork will also slacken the head angle to make it less twitchy.
Progress so far.
dscf6877.jpg

The top linkage mounts for the fork tops with nylon bushes, soon to be lined with steel for 10mm bolts.
dscf6875.jpg

A bit more filing needed.
dscf6876.jpg

Squarish. It'll do.
dscf6878.jpg

Once the weld's dressed it looks good.
dscf6879.jpg

Exactly 106mm between the legs and perfectly parallel. The dropouts will affix inside the legs and adjustment will ensure the wheel is upright and perpendicular, so no need for a jig.
I've built 5 self designed and self built sports cars so can assure any doubters that this is greatly over engineered for a bike. The legs are very much like the front suspension wishbones of a car.

I'm looking at a weight of just under 2kg. The Quadra 5 weighs just under 1.5kg so I think it's an acceptable increase.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Yesterday I made a tricky part, a clamp to mount the top link pivot and shock absorber top mount. The reflections and shadows confuse the picture but I've tried to lay the fork out as it will go together.
51c8bf27-6f0a-42c3-9828-f1605bacd97f.jpeg

Filing the drop outs to match the curve of the fork legs was probably good for the soul; a real pain. I was pleased with the result. Making a 28.6mm hole through a piece of box section for the clamp went well. It sits snuggly around the steerer tube. I've added blobs of weld to the dropouts so that if the skewer comes undone the wheel won't fall out. It worked so well that I struggled to get the wheel out when I trial fitted it. I filed a bit off. I now need to make the 2 linkages. The top will slope downward whilst the bottom will be nearly level. This geometry will give a "J" shaped axle travel path like the Whyte linkage fork. When you press down on the handlebars the fork resists compression, hence no bobbing. Well, we'll see.

I just can’t stop my self! I’ve made the top linkage and trial fitted it. I need a bush for the bottom of the shock, it’s a 12.7 mm so easy enough to get. Bolts I can get from Nuts of Chorley.
f01b0b07-bc86-4752-af83-d40a09218b35.jpeg

Back