Posting Pictures & Resolution Issues - any advice & tips ?

M-Power

Old School Grand Master
I look at such pictures posted for BOTM and by members such as Nader but I just can't get my posted pictures to look that sharp :facepalm: I use my IPhone to take all the shots and the 'Simple Resize, App to reduce them to no more than 514Kb before posting them up. They always look so blurred. :oops:

How are people getting such sharp hosted images on here at such low resolutions ?

:?

Re:

No advice, but subscribing to thread. I've never figured it out either, and it's one of the reasons I don't contribute more often.

The general way of doing it is to resize the picture to a sensible web display size, e.g. 1000px wide and save as a high quality jpeg (e.g. 98% quality), then it is generally well below 514Kb with minimal quality loss.

I've not used a phone app that lets me specify the jpeg quality although there are probably such apps out there, there are plenty of free PC apps that let you do this though, e.g. GIMP.

Re:

Every single photo (I've taken anyway) that I have posted on this site I have done using Flickr. You just past the link in from there, never fails, no resizing needed.

Re: Re:

Crantinope":3in8603e said:
Every single photo (I've taken anyway) that I have posted on this site I have done using Flickr. You just past the link in from there, never fails, no resizing needed.

Yeah, that's the fall back position but the posts and threads look better with embedded pics IMO, also it's annoying when you dig up an old thread for reference and all the key pics have blanked out due to removal :?

Case in point. (Not my bike) but top pic is much higher res but so blurred in comparison to shot below by Nader :facepalm:

It's doing my head in :facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_6471.JPG
    IMG_6471.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_6488.PNG
    IMG_6488.PNG
    113.4 KB · Views: 645
I always resize my picture on the computer I take the highest pixel count and reduce it to the maximum allowed by the site for example

2080 pixels reduce to 1200 pixels
picture size reduced from 100% to 58%
data size reduced from 687kb to 164 kb

Just to note that if the original picture was 2080 x 1185 pixels and I reduced the 2080 to 1200 the computer automatically adjusts the 1185 to 625 hope this helps.
BTW i use a macbook

kingbling":khl44834 said:
I always resize my picture on the computer I take the highest pixel count and reduce it to the maximum allowed by the site for example

2080 pixels reduce to 1200 pixels
picture size reduced from 100% to 58%
data size reduced from 687kb to 164 kb

Just to note that if the original picture was 2080 x 1185 pixels and I reduced the 2080 to 1200 the computer automatically adjusts the 1185 to 625 hope this helps.
BTW i use a macbook

That's probably what it comes down too then, the IPhone and Apps are just shiiite. I do everything on my phone though, so if anybody has a good phone capability solution please pipe up :|

M-Power":13mpxvfz said:
I look at such pictures posted for BOTM and by members such as Nader but I just can't get my posted pictures to look that sharp :facepalm: I use my IPhone to take all the shots and the 'Simple Resize, App to reduce them to no more than 514Kb before posting them up. They always look so blurred. :oops:

How are people getting such sharp hosted images on here at such low resolutions ?

I love the pic's that Narder posts they are works of art, and as much as he plays down things and claims
he just uses a normal camera, look at the lighting.... he might claim to have a basic bridge camera but he also knows a lot about the right lighting.

I too always had problems with fuzzy images, and a new camera with a movable focal point made an amazing difference, sure some parts of the pic are burred but that's now the background and not the subject.

Whilst I do use a picture hosting site for posts with many images I do prefer to have them added the old fashion way as your right it chuffs me off when you read an old topic and all the pics are gone :twisted:

Retro Spud":3cq76qg3 said:
M-Power":3cq76qg3 said:

I love the pic's that Narder posts they are works of art, and as much as he plays down things and claims
he just uses a normal camera, look at the lighting.... he might claim to have a basic bridge camera but he also knows a lot about the right lighting.

I too always had problems with fuzzy images, and a new camera with a movable focal point made an amazing difference, sure some parts of the pic are burred but that's now the background and not the subject.

Whilst I do use a picture hosting site for posts with many images I do prefer to have them added the old fashion way as your right it chuffs me off when you read an old topic and all the pics are gone :twisted:

I'm too lazy to invest in a separate £££s camera and all that entails. I guess having a fast lens with perfect optics and taking a lot of trouble to get it just right makes all the difference. It's a shame the site can't accommodate larger files or automatically optimise the images for hosting.

It's also a shame you can't upload direct from a phone. I'm sure it's one of the reasons we don't see as many pics here as you can see in the various Facebook pages

Back