Phillip "Pipmeister" MOCK KONA GURU AND LEGEND

Epilogue to this. Kona shared the series of articles on Instagram and to date, it's received over 1.5k likes which is brilliant. You can view the post here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CjiFCxyPFK0/

I think Pip would find this equally amazing, brilliant, and perplexing. He left social media to others, but he was acutely aware of how important it is to bring like-minded folks together and as a knowledge platform. The fact that through me and his network, we were able to speak with riders and company folks directly, was and still is super-exciting, and Pip felt the same.

I've been away from Retrobike for a while now, but came back today to confirm the name of the Kona road bike that used the same Columbus altec 2 tubing as the 98 Yellow Kona Ku Pip owned. I thought it was mentioned in Pip's posts surrounding the rare Kona Ku, but have now just learned of his passing.
Very sad news even though I never met him in person. We had conversed on retrobike and I had always enjoyed reading his posts about rare Kona's.

His knowledge and Insight will be missed on this site I'm sure.

Rest in peace Pip

Kyle

Twelve months have passed since Pip decided to ride his eternal single-track.

I was thinking this week what would have gotten him excited or what would we be having a healthy discussion about?

Almost certainly my glowing reports of my new Hei Hei and that 1* is pretty darn good on a 29er. That we'd confirmed the ID of Seamus' 96/97 rasta flames Hei Hei, and that we may even have found Cindy Devine's Hei Hei.

I suspect we'd have nattered about ABS brakes and SRAMs latest groupset, and would perhaps be booking that long awaited trip to The Malverns Classic.

6yusb1.jpg

👍

Twelve months have passed since Pip decided to ride his eternal single-track.

I was thinking this week what would have gotten him excited or what would we be having a healthy discussion about?

Almost certainly my glowing reports of my new Hei Hei and that 1* is pretty darn good on a 29er. That we'd confirmed the ID of Seamus' 96/97 rasta flames Hei Hei, and that we may even have found Cindy Devine's Hei Hei.

I suspect we'd have nattered about ABS brakes and SRAMs latest groupset, and would perhaps be booking that long awaited trip to The Malverns Classic.

6yusb1.jpg

👍

I've been thinking the same Al, and I've been looking over Pip's "Today's ride" photos and wondering if I can find some of the local spots he rode :)

Here's one of Pip on his Hot out in Sandleford Wood, at the western end of Greenham Common I believe....

Sandleford Wood west Greenham 2.jpg

Back