Pace rc200 f2 'period correctish' restoration

Tommy27

Retro Guru
IMG-20231111-WA0005.jpg

Leading on from the thread I created about the brakes been encouraged to start a build thread.

I'll be clear from the start and say this is up at my parents and it's for a Landmark Birthday for my Partner. So my involvement is probably going to mostly be helping sources the relevant parts and showing you the progress while my Dad and Partner are mostly involved in the build.

The Bike was mostly used for Couriering/ Messengering in Canada and a little in London, but has seen some off road use and also was used in the Toronto Ice Races!

The theme, if there is one will be 'period correctness'. As anyone who's used a bike for work or maybe for long term travelling will know sometimes when a part breaks you just find the best replacement you can. So there'll be a few mismatched, but compatible parts being thrown in along the way! But since the bike is from '93 (thanks @FluffyChicken ) , trying to keep it around the early 90s where we can.

Currently we've got a rolling Chasis. Out of this, frame & fork, headset, bottom bracket, seatpost and stem, wheels and shifters... seem useable

Hoping my Dad still has the Suntour Crankset and XT mechs that were lurking. Magura's are shot and we only have the front caliper. So will be on the look out for some decent Calipers. Bar's were cut down to 47, saddle will no doubt need replacing too!

IMG-20231111-WA0004.jpg

One of the weirder things is the forks. The bike was a prize from a Hamburg shop, the forks are Tange, but that's as much as we know!?

Hoping to have this at least rideable in exactly a month from now, but may go through a few versions of the rebuild? Any advice is welcome obviously!

Last edited:
Forks look like Tange Struts, and missing the top caps by the look of it too unfortunately.

Nice project.

I would say - don’t feel like you have to make it perfect straight away. Get it into a serviceable and rideable state, then you can upgrade as you go. You can decide which parts you like/dislike and change them as necessary, while still getting use from the bike.

Depending on the size of the rider, the stem length and bar width may need changing. That’s a pretty hardcore narrow and long courier-style set up on there currently.

Will probably start a wanted thread and will need to ask for some appropriate measurements, but if anyone's selling we're going to need:

* New brakes, @mk one and @enigma recommended Dia Compe 987 with SS5 Levers
* New Handlebars (what's on there has been cut down to 47, which is wider than thought but if I remember right is about 10cm shorter than what would of been average for early 90s straight bars), Canadian Brands would be good.
* New Mechs (believe shifters are 7 spd xt)
* New Crankset, current Specialized is worn, rings are certainly done for!

Well, I say new, but I mean 30 years old or so.

If Mildenhall Grass Track doesn't happen next year, we might go to the Malverns Classic. My parents are pretty near to there and I've just brought a Fisher Mountainbike (89- 90.. not sure.. look out for a thread on that soon) so we we'll bring this to the stall if we do.

Back