‘95 Pace RC200 F5 ‘Mystery Machine’

Jimmy oldskool

Breezer Fan
Feedback
View
So after securing one of my 2 ‘halo’ bikes a few weeks ago, I thought that was going to be it for acquisitions for a while, so imagine my luck when the second ‘halo’ bike popped up on eBay within days of the DogsBolx that I bought from @retrobikeguy arriving! 🤦🏻‍♂️

IMG_3372.jpeg
IMG_3371.jpeg

Now I’ve been after an RC200 for an age, so after seeing this on eBay, I chucked up a proxy bid of what I was prepared to pay and waited…

IMG_3375.jpeg

Whilst the bidding was live, I had spotted a couple of odd features on the frame and after seeing a thread on here about it, it confirmed my thoughts that this was an F5 and not an F8 as advertised. After messaging the seller, he couldn’t confirm what model it was exactly, but mentioned that it had a weird rear dropout and that someone else had messaged him and said it was a prototype frame?…The plot thickens…🤔

IMG_3378.jpeg
IMG_3376.jpeg

Anyway, I won the frame at less than I was prepared to pay and waited for it to arrive.

IMG_3381.jpeg

Whilst waiting, I did a bit of digging by speaking to @danson67 and @justbackdated to try and ascertain what the odd frame number could mean as it isn’t on the database and doesn’t follow any Pace numerical patterns?

IMG_3536.jpeg

Anyway…It’s finally arrived and after a good looking over I can confirm a couple of things…

1. It’s crack free!
2. The fork is toast
3. It’s had a fairly hard life
4. It’s definitely an F5
5. I absolutely love it!

So, it’s been pulled apart and now the work begins…

IMG_3537.jpeg

I’ve already started collecting the parts to build it, having secured a chunk of bits from @Corduroyboy for not only this but other builds that I have on the go too. Parts from Giles for the Pace consist of an RC45 stem, Renthal bars, Middleburn cranks and a nice set of RC36’s with a rare Hope disc mount and caliper fitted.

IMG_3546.jpeg
IMG_3547.jpeg

😎

Last edited:
…So, remember I mentioned that frame number…

IMG_3542.jpeg

Here it is…

IMG_3543.jpeg
IMG_3544.jpeg

If anyone can shine any light on what it may mean, I’m all ears…

IMG_3539.jpeg

The frame also has this extremely well made rear dropout/ caliper mount…

IMG_3540.jpeg
IMG_3538.jpeg

I think this is the part that led to someone telling the previous owner that it was a prototype or test mule as the Pace savvy individuals I’ve shown and spoken to about it both say they haven’t seen it before?…So again, if anyone can shed any light on it, please let me know! 👍🏼

Needless to say I shall be building this as a disc braked build, already having the early hope hydros and wheelset in stock…The rest of the bits should come along in no time and I’m keen to get it all together for the summer and nice little evening tow path rides in the sun…

Anyway, more when I make some more progress…👍🏼

My F6 came with a similar calliper mount.. t'was one of the reasons i bought it, i wanted to fit Klampers

fullsizeoutput_3319.jpeg

The previous owner had them made at a local machine shop
IMG_3356.JPG

If you look at the machining marks^ from the milling cutter, they're a lot finer on your example wheres mine look a bit more random / rustic, i'd say hand finished in places.. yours looks cnc'd more like the factory drop outs.. i got a whole bunch of drop outs with the sale.

IMG_3361.JPG

Have you asked Pace?

When I had a anodised blue RC200 I dropped them an email and they came with the info really quickly. Turns out mine was one of only 3 produced in that colour (1 was kept my I think an owners mother ).

IMG_3940.jpeg

I’ve still got my F6 in pewter too. Which is one of my favourite bikes

IMG_3491.jpeg

I think the dropout may have been made by Hope which is why the anodising is a different shade.

I've got one knocking around in the spares box from when I ran Hope C2s on my F5.

It takes the No.1 caliper (err, I think!).

It's whichever caliper has the mounting hole to the right of the piston (most have them to the left for mounting on top of the seat stay).

I think the dropout may have been made by Hope which is why the anodising is a different shade.

I've got one knocking around in the spares box from when I ran Hope C2s on my F5.

It takes the No.1 caliper (err, I think!).

It's whichever caliper has the mounting hole to the right of the piston (most have them to the left for mounting on top of the seat stay).

That makes complete sense mate…Cheers 👍🏼

I think the caliper I have is the correct one? 🤞🏼

IMG_3272.jpeg

Have you asked Pace?

When I had a anodised blue RC200 I dropped them an email and they came with the info really quickly. Turns out mine was one of only 3 produced in that colour (1 was kept my I think an owners mother ).

View attachment 832476

I’ve still got my F6 in pewter too. Which is one of my favourite bikes

View attachment 832480

I’ll give them a shout Dom 👍🏼

Love your Pewter one! 👌🏼

Back