1991 Cannondale SM800 rider good luck fair play it's not my cup of tequila I'm trying to buy this Klein but the guy won't reply content

If a full link or half link does not work out with the scope you have you may need to fit a Single Speed Chain Tensioner, am sure you know this. Hope your just about finished the build now?
IMG_20240207_223425.jpg

Pretty much there. Had a rolling test round the block last night with under inflated tyres.

Chain fitted by @Shaggy1979 and the drop test suggests it's okay.

Bars... a novel experience.

Brakes... Not so much

Chain... has slack in it although under tension it does not. Hoping that's a good thing.

Tyres... Sounding good flat

I'm feeling a bit under the weather this week.

I see what you mean now. Deceptively rideable and compact, has potential.

Will give you more of an idea soonest and check in with your progress.

View attachment 818925

Pretty much there. Had a rolling test round the block last night with under inflated tyres.

Chain fitted by @Shaggy1979 and the drop test suggests it's okay.

Bars... a novel experience.

Brakes... Not so much

Chain... has slack in it although under tension it does not. Hoping that's a good thing.

Tyres... Sounding good flat

I'm feeling a bit under the weather this week.

I see what you mean now. Deceptively rideable and compact, has potential.

Will give you more of an idea soonest and check in with your progress.
Chain looks great, watch out for some stretch after a while. Hope your feeling better soon.

IMG_20240210_194206.jpg
IMG_20240210_194520.jpg
IMG_20240210_194118.jpg
IMG_20240210_194036.jpg
Shakey first ride through town.

As you can see the spacers haven't been added, running a madmax drivetrains currently and I forgot to tighten down the lock nut on the cassette.

Chain could do with a link out however I've not figured out how to remove that and refit as yet.

Quirky feeling bicycle.

Proof of concept achieved.

Onto a few adjustments and changes now.

View attachment 819975
View attachment 819976
View attachment 819977
View attachment 819978
Shakey first ride through town.

As you can see the spacers haven't been added, running a madmax drivetrains currently and I forgot to tighten down the lock nut on the cassette.

Chain could do with a link out however I've not figured out how to remove that and refit as yet.

Quirky feeling bicycle.

Proof of concept achieved.

Onto a few adjustments and changes now.
"Chain could do with a link out however I've not figured out how to remove that and refit as yet."
Just remove a link with a chain removal tool, stop when the pin is is nearly out then remove the link, you may need a half link in its place to get the length you need.

"Quirky feeling bicycle."
You will soon get used to the geometry and wont look back, fantastic designed frame.

"Proof of concept achieved."
Congratulations - looks great and with the seat post at that height, the frame is not too large for you.

The issue is more how to refit with a link out as it would be a stretch.

Can I fit the chain with the wheel out and then reinstall the wheel?

There is a halflink installed
( @Walterscot thanks! )

I rode some stairs last night and did not feel comfortable at all haha. Will certainly take some getting used to.

I am surprised how compact it is.
There's no real need for the swoopy bars now.
I will install a flatbar.

"The issue is more how to refit with a link out as it would be a stretch."

Ok that is trial and error on what you have, you need to take the chain of both sprockets, drop a link, then put the chain back on the rear sprocket then slowly turn the crank with the chain onto the front sprocket, NOW if it is too tight and does not go on STOP and don't force it on. Then rethink. Its hard to say here without seeing it.

*Disclaimer - seek a professional bike shop if in any doubt.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back