Newbie - 1992 Scott Montana

AndrewDysie

Retro Newbie
Hi All,

First time poster so go easy on me!

Just purchased a 1992 Scott Montana with hope to get into proper cycling again after years of bmx..

Have collected an array of parts for the bike already (just waiting for them to arrive) however struggling to find a FD/RD to suit. Have a 3x7spd set up already.. My question is will any Shimano FD/RD work as long as they are 3x7spd - as i've seen some posts giving a limit on 'pull' for the FD. Front Triple is a 46/36/24T.

Here it is looking rather sorry for itself at the moment whilst I wait for parts to arrive! (ignore the yellow brakes & white grips!!)

Any help/advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg-1.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpg-1.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,397
  • FullSizeRender.jpg-2.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpg-2.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,397
Re:

howdy - and welcome.

the front derailleur will have to have the correct band diameter (the mounting bracket part) ... and, it will need to have the correct pull/activation configuration to suit your bike's cable routing arrangement (either top or bottom pull).

Re:

Welcome to the forum!

Looks nice to me, look forward to seeing it take shape. You'll need a front mech with a 26.8mm band, and a bottom pull one, as the gear cables go down the downtube. As for rear mech, anything goes really. They will all work with 7 speed, if you have 7 speed shifters. With the exception or Sram ESP.

Hope this helps

Mike

Thanks both for your input has helped take that next step forward - Hopefully i'll find something soon.. Getting incredibly impatient with it sitting there and not being able to use it :)

There are gazillions of bits, parts, and pieces to be found on the 'for sale' section of this forum ... surely any specific parts or pieces you might need can be sourced from the array of things being offered for sale or trade ...

... and good luck with a smooth and easy build!

Re:

Small update:

Found some Deore XT levers available for a good price, in a pretty good state! So gone are the woeful yellow levers.

Also ordered up some wheels, should be here next week! (Mavic M231 rims wrapped around Deore M650 hubs)

Need some advice on shifters - What does anyone recommend!?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg-2.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpg-2.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,225
  • FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,225
Updates - Cranks/Pedals are now on .... & a little preview of the hubs... test fitted the wheels but waiting for some new tyres to arrive!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg-2 2.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpg-2 2.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,166
  • FullSizeRender.jpg 2.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpg 2.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,167
  • FullSizeRender.jpg-1 2.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpg-1 2.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,167
Re:

Shiny stuff... looks good.

Welcome to the forum.

al.

Re:

It depends on which type of shifters you like really. For trigger type, then Lx or Xt would suit, to go with the brake levers. Thumbies are a good option, Deore ones are cheap and are easy to set up. Or Gripshift type. X-Ray or Sachs wavey both work with Shimano mechs.
Looks like it's coming together nicely!

Mike

Back