New Project - Fat Chance Yo Eddy Team in Grello/blue

Minifreak

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Well sadly I didn't continue with my Manitou FS rebuild, I really didn't think I'd ride it and didn't want to spend so much restoring a non rider. Passing that on freed up space, time and money so on seeing this frame and fork coming up I had to have it.

This frame is no stranger to RB having belonged to atlesst two owners here, built up at least once with a lovely Suntour XC Pro groupset and correct period parts.
I had the option to buy a full compliment of Campagnolo bits from the most recent owner but I chose to stick with mainly Shimano XTR M900 for the gears, using XT thumb shifters of course :D Reason being that this will be ridden and I'd hate to have to try and source Campagnolo gear down the line to replace worn or broken parts.

I'll write up a full spec list once built but you get the idea from the pics.

It'll be a few weeks before I start, I prefer to have everything ready to go and I am waiting on atleast 3 parts from the US including a shorter BB spindle to fit those lovely TNT cranks. Wheels are pretty tasty and again they aren't built yet :facepalm:

I've not made my mind up on the saddle, Flite or Turbo, same with tyres. I'm going Onza Porcs but should I go tanwall or Blackwall? It'll have dark grey ano rims.

As for stems, the Syncros is nice and matches the bars and Seatpost, possibly too chunky though? I have a Tioga T-Bone in black with a little rise coming, but ideally I hope someone replies to my wanted ad here on RB for a Salsa roller stem 1"quill with a little rise and around 130mm long.

Anyway that's enough waffling, here's some pics in the first glimpse of sun for what seems like eternity:

Now I said I wasn't going to start the build until I had all the bits, couldn't help myself today. On cleaning the brake pads and holders up I just had to install them on the brakes and the brakes canti's on the bike. As I'd done that I thought I might as well install the bottle cage.

Not sure why but my nice new purple bottle cage bolts are too long and won't screw all the way in so staying with the iridescent Ti bolts that the frame came to me with. The Mrs's bike will get some more purple bolts in due course it looks like ;)

Nice find that one, really like the component choice. I have found that when building a project it is nice to keep revisiting it as and when parts become available rather than waiting until one has obtained all required parts. I have one at the moment that I have had in the bike stand for months and months - still short of 4 key components to finish and having no luck!

Love the Fat chance Yo eddy in that colour scheme, never get tired of it, its just right. Can see already its going to be a scrumptious build, an abundance of purple Ringle and Chris King Bling. Definitely sensible sticking with the shimano, a whole lot easier to replace parts, that's partly why I have always shied away from Campag or Suntour.

fattiman":388tbmpy said:
Nice find that one, really like the component choice. I have found that when building a project it is nice to keep revisiting it as and when parts become available rather than waiting until one has obtained all required parts. I have one at the moment that I have had in the bike stand for months and months - still short of 4 key components to finish and having no luck!

That's the issue I'm having with the stem, I love Syncros and I will be sticking with the Seatpost (although I did consider a TCO) and the bars so it's nice to have matching parts. I do however feel it's too chunky and ideally I'd be after a Salsa with roller around 130mm with rise. I thought I'd struck lucky for now with a nice black Tioga T-Bone on eBay, no roller but cable routing and a nice rise, it arrived and it's for 1 1/8" not 1" as advertised. Sellers being great about return though.

Hope you find your missing bits soon :D

Cheshire1980":did0czqn said:
Love the Fat chance Yo eddy in that colour scheme, never get tired of it, its just right. Can see already its going to be a scrumptious build, an abundance of purple Ringle and Chris King Bling. Definitely sensible sticking with the shimano, a whole lot easier to replace parts, that's partly why I have always shied away from Campag or Suntour.

Thanks mate, it's really going to stand out on the trails and get some odd looks no doubt!

I'd love a full Suntour XC Pro groupset but as you said Shimano is just reliable and easy to source.

have you considered a black ringle stem, they really suit the yo eddy frame but then I suppose you would have to go for a matching moby post.
REALLY need some help finding the parts but having no joy at all, I have some great rides planned in spring and at this rate wont have the bike built up in time.

Re:

Apart from looking so pretty, these are amazing to ride. Good luck finding that stem. :cool:

fattiman":9f7hg999 said:
have you considered a black ringle stem, they really suit the yo eddy frame but then I suppose you would have to go for a matching moby post.
REALLY need some help finding the parts but having no joy at all, I have some great rides planned in spring and at this rate wont have the bike built up in time.

Again finding one of those the right dimensions won't be easy. I thinking it needs a steel stem so the hunt continues. Fingers crossed those rides come off on the bike as planned for you ;)

Back