New crank puller time

TOMAS":34ccfnxn said:
I hold the cranks at a 9 and 3 o'clock positions, have done more than I can count over absolutely years this way and have only ever stripped out one crank, and that was because I hadn't wound in the tool far enough into the crank arm.

Tried to fetch a seized BB out of a frame with a long breaker bar (last resort) whilst it was in a stand last year and the stand welds gave out lol!
9 & 3 o'clock is no good in a stand, just have crank 10° or so ahead of the spanner on the tool and squeeze the two together.

But yes a really stuck BB is best dealt with on the floor, bike on its wheels and push the breaker bar forwards towards the front of the bike, regardless of which side cup you are trying to remove, this sorts out the left and right hand threads without having to think about it.

niggle":3hwvrzax said:
TOMAS":3hwvrzax said:
I hold the cranks at a 9 and 3 o'clock positions, have done more than I can count over absolutely years this way and have only ever stripped out one crank, and that was because I hadn't wound in the tool far enough into the crank arm.

Tried to fetch a seized BB out of a frame with a long breaker bar (last resort) whilst it was in a stand last year and the stand welds gave out lol!
9 & 3 o'clock is no good in a stand, just have crank 10° or so ahead of the spanner on the tool and squeeze the two together.

But yes a really stuck BB is best dealt with on the floor, bike on its wheels and push the breaker bar forwards towards the front of the bike, regardless of which side cup you are trying to remove, this sorts out the left and right hand threads without having to think about it.

Best way to remove a really stuck bb ime is clamp tool in vice and use frame as a lever. You can put your weight down on it to ensure tool doesn’t slip. Does require a decent vice with enough space around it though...

Otherwise I would leave the bike on its wheels, yeah. Sometimes a stand makes things harder.

bluetomgold":2f6l0to5 said:
Best way to remove a really stuck bb ime is clamp tool in vice and use frame as a lever. You can put your weight down on it to ensure tool doesn’t slip. Does require a decent vice with enough space around it though...

Otherwise I would leave the bike on its wheels, yeah. Sometimes a stand makes things harder.
Yes you are quite right, I forgot because I don't have such luxuries, particularly the turning space.

Back