New crank puller time

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Torn between park cwp-7 and shimano tl-fc10.

Just ruined my old (cheap) one on some tight cranks - the tip of it has squeezed into a semi conical shape, having been pushed in to the end of the bb axle. I think I probably wrecked the bb too, opening it up a little. Possibly (hopefully not) screwed up the crank arm, but either way I want to make sure the new tool makes good purchase on the bb axle (ideally nice and wide bearing surface) and does the job.

Not sure why it’s so bloody reluctant to come off... it was nicely greased up and although I certainly did them tight I’m pretty sure I’m too puny to overdo it. Maybe just the tool’s had it, the end was already a bit misshapen from years of abuse... perhaps it’s just gone beyond being a useful shape...

Attachments

• 04E84A95-93D2-49C3-91AA-128771DF5ED6.jpeg
    04E84A95-93D2-49C3-91AA-128771DF5ED6.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 451
  • 746A4188-C61B-4932-8B3A-1C0276F61BFD.jpeg
    746A4188-C61B-4932-8B3A-1C0276F61BFD.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 451
Re:

I like my parktool crank extractor ccp22 so would recommend, reasonably priced too.
You can ride it without the crank bolts in and it will loosen that way. obviously ride somewhere on tarmac, dont go crazy

Re:

stick a smaller bolt in the BB bolt hole, I use old cantilever bolts that are past saving, then carry on using your extractor without damaging the BB threads

Re:

Thanks guys for the recommendations.

retrobikeguy":259gwkae said:
stick a smaller bolt in the BB bolt hole, I use old cantilever bolts that are past saving, then carry on using your extractor without damaging the BB threads

Particularly this. I’m all for zero spend solutions these days! :D

I've been using a Park CCP-22 for 20 years and still going strong! If you can still find them I imagine Pedros will do a good one too, my Pedros chain breaker is also 20 years old and AMAZING after possibly close to 100 chains fitted!

Re:

I’ve broken many a crank puller - and they’ve stripped many a crank arm too. However the best one I’ve had and is still going is a Draper one. They less than a tenner and it’s still going strong and I strip quite a few old bikes that have never had cranks removed

Re:

That’s the puppy.

I buy a few old unloved bikes to split for bits and it’s performed faultless over the last year. I use a breaker bar and Allen key for max leverage and it just works. And it’s a bargain.

Back