New arrival, 96 Kilauea

JRGSXR

MacRetro Rider
Kona Fan
Full build thread will follow once I’ve got it stripped down. This is the as delivered pic. Good clean and a diet are the order of the day, for the bike not me! Although I could be doing with dropping a few lbs 😂

Attachments

• 7C94B9C3-C819-4195-BCDE-7C653E28F861.jpeg
    7C94B9C3-C819-4195-BCDE-7C653E28F861.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 46
Thanks, I won’t be as fast a build as your Explosif. It’s got to run alongside two others. Parts coming from my cinder cone to the Kilauea, then parts from the wife’s lava dome to the cinder cone ( her new bike). Then parts from the spares pile to rebuild the lava dome to sell on. It’s gonna be a busy time for me. Got a 16”Zaskar (on the small side for me) to move on too. I need more hours in the day 😂. I’m toying with the idea of building the lava dome as a single speed and using it for the summer commute. Oh and as always, still looking for the elusive Explosif.

Hahaha just move to Canada I can track down an explosif for you.

What are you planning on doing to this Kilauea ?

Yeah I know there is a nice one in my size over there 😔. As for the Kilauea, the saddle is horrible! The crankset will be upgraded, stem is the wrong colour and the tyres will be changed. The grips need changed and bar ends added. Will probably rebuild the wheels with matching XT hubs it needs valve caps and a few other small touches.

Yeah I know there is a nice one in my size over there 😔. As for the Kilauea, the saddle is horrible! The crankset will be upgraded, stem is the wrong colour and the tyres will be changed. The grips need changed and bar ends added. Will probably rebuild the wheels with matching XT hubs it needs valve caps and a few other small touches.
Sweet! What about the brakes ? I never liked any of that curve stuff.

Isnt that the original stem ? Did they come in 2 sizes ?

I’ve got a full set of curve brakes on the cinder cone. I get on fine with them and kinda like the look. The stem is original but it’s a lighter gray than the forks. The one on my cinder cone matches so I’ll have that one and the wife can have the light one 😂. I’m not sure about sizes but both mine are the same just different shades of gray. Mmmm when I think about it, the stems changed with the frame size. 125mm on the 18/19” frames and 140mm on the larger frames. Might be wrong on that but sure I read it somewhere before.

Sweet! The stem on my explosif actually came off a 16" 96 Kilauea so it's only 110mm which is nice.

Swapping parts is all part of the fun

So that means there’s three sizes. If I ever find an Explosif I’ll need to do it all over again. My daughter wants to swap her Kilauea for mine if I get an Explosif. You’re right though, swapping parts and building a bike “your” way is fun.

So that means there’s three sizes. If I ever find an Explosif I’ll need to do it all over again. My daughter wants to swap her Kilauea for mine if I get an Explosif. You’re right though, swapping parts and building a bike “your” way is fun.
Might even be a 90 out there for 14s ? Cant imagine many of those some thiugh.

I did see a 90mm 95 stem once.

Back