Need help with Raleigh Europa T1

cviebrock

Retro Newbie
Hi all, and greetings from Manitoba, Canada. First-time poster here with my first road bike project.

NlrgZlEl.jpg

At first, I was just looking for a cheap retro 10-speed frame to strip down, repaint, and build up with new 2x10 componentry. But I happened upon a Raleigh Europa, and the more I read about it, the more I'm thinking I should restore it, rather than repurpose it. Especially if there is an anniversary edition selling for £1500!

Some pics:

y949Hakl.jpg

WpqTXJkl.jpg

gyZ2UDll.jpg

Full album of the dismantling so far: https://imgur.com/a/kmKQbbQ

First off, from what I can tell, the model I have is from 1974, maybe? It seems to match this catalog image that was posted in another thread:
Europa.jpg

There are no serial numbers (that I can see) to help identify it. I've attached some more pics that might help, but if there is anything else to look for, please let me know!

My second question has to do with the bottom bracket. I've removed the cup from the left side, but it looks like the cup on the right side is actually fixed, or at least painted on. Is that possible? All my research seems to indicate that both sides should be removable. I gave it a bit of elbow grease and managed to chip off part of the rectangular raised edge, so I'm holding off until I find out if it's meant to be removed.

5VWjisPl.jpg

8rTbN5el.jpg

Finally, is it worth the hassle to try and get a more "modern" bottom bracket for this bike (i.e. tapered rather than a cottered axle)? Sheldon Brown's blog makes it sound like the combination of thread size and other issues might make it more pain than worth. Has anyone else had luck with this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

The RH bracket cup is left hand thread, and very tight.
This bike would be a low end mass produced model.
26 TPI was used by Raleigh for nearly 100 years for head and bracket threads when the standard for British bikes was 24 TPI.

Keith

Re:

Just a couple of comments

I don't know if your £1500 anniversary comment was tongue in cheek, but to be clear, these are 2 very different beasts. One is as good as steel gets, one is a gas pipe budget bike, albeit both are painted to team colours

The painted bottom bracket cup concerns me. I've never seen one painted, they are usually chromed steel, which suggests to me a previous owner has done some painting. Maybe as innocent as the chrome had tarnished and a lick of paint was in order. The design of the cup with the flats like that looks like an adjustable cup (typically in the left side with a right hand thread), so I would hope it hasn't been cross-threaded in. Saying that, it's Raleigh, who back then had their own bearing sets

A small amount of heat (from your butane/propane torch) directed at the fixed cup may help to free it too. Just be careful to avoid the paint on the frame. The idea is to make it expand slightly then shrink as it cools, allowing the Plusgas/similar to do its penetratey thing.

Please don't secure any loans on the prospect of achieving £1500 for the finished bike; You may be disappointed.

Re:

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I realize it’s reverse threaded (and likely 26TPI, which is why I asked about the ease of converting the bottom bracket).

And, don’t worry ... my £1500 comment was meant tongue in cheek! I’ll be happy to just get the bike up and working again for myself. As I’m sure you’ll all agree, this hobby is more likely to cost money than it is a source of income! ;)

Did one of these a while back. Enjoy. Checking in for updates.

Attachments

• 648649FB-70AC-4365-A227-25323509BEDA.jpeg
    648649FB-70AC-4365-A227-25323509BEDA.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 1,077
The History Man":6ry4r7hx said:

That looks pretty slick, History Man! Do you have a post anywhere detailing the rebuild, or new components you used? I'd be curious to compare and get ideas.

I found the serial number on the frame. Silly me looking under the bottom bracket and not realizing it was behind the seat post. NN0053503 ... which according to here means a bike made in Nottingham, in approximately October 1980.

cviebrock":pdkmvwya said:
The History Man":pdkmvwya said:

That looks pretty slick, History Man! Do you have a post anywhere detailing the rebuild, or new components you used? I'd be curious to compare and get ideas.
It was pretty much stock. Just needed total rebuild and cleanup.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=336836

Back