Name this vintage Japanese Bike

ricric

Retro Newbie
I have what appears to be a Shimano aero bike frame with true aero seatpost. Similar ones were made by Araya incorporating Tsonuda designs maybe more. It had first generation Dura Ace installed so dates around late 70s to early 80s. I just can't find exact model or brand

Attachments

• IMG_9207.JPG
    IMG_9207.JPG
    992.8 KB · Views: 55
Were these called a super bike or super aero or something? Is the tubing Tange Aero?

Definitely not something else in Columbus Air?

Well, that's part of the issue. I don't know the answer to that. The bike was acquired as you see it.

The chainstay cable stop, if original, suggests this is not one of the frames commissioned by Shimano.

Is there a serial number?

Yes the cable stop is different. It is meant to pair with the Shimano barend shifters that were on it. I was thinking a tri/time trial version. High end for its time with the tig welded portions during the late 70s to early 80s. It is very light. Period parts of 1st Gen Dura Ace. Serial number 674910.

IMG_9201.jpeg

What I meant was that AX rear derailleurs didn't require the usual bit of cable housing, so no chain stay stop was needed. The frames Shimano had made didn't have one:

AX RD.jpg

The serial number doesn't look particularly Asian to me either. I doesn't have the usual format, often with a letter indicating the maker.

I hear ya. Possibly from the maker which I believe was Araya / Tsunoda. Unfortunately no steerer markings. Same seat stays to seat tube clamp. The search goes on.

aero3 - Copy.PNG

Latest posts

Back