Mountain Cycle San Andreas Rebuild

Supratada

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I thought I'd start a rebuild thread for my newly acquired San An, which I technically bought myself for my 50th birthday (otherwise my wife would probably have blown a grand on some hotel stay and meal, which while nice, is not really a present for me as I don't really like going away, especially to hotels (unless it also involves seeing Kate Bush play live, (ooh, double, nay, triple parentheses))). I bought it from Totoro waaay over west of the Pennines, bandit country for a Yorkshireman by proxy.

So, here it was as I bought it. TT's pics.

47323443761_dc9ff9d2b8_b.jpg

46644018175_4c5bcc2d69_b.jpg

I didn't really know what I was going to do with it as ideally, I'd wanted a mid 1990's bike but this is most likely 2005 so I thought I'd kinda retroify it back to the '90s, sort of. I've been steadily buying parts since and have stripped it down completely. Brakes were shot as the owner told me and it was a little too low and cramped for my size so with a quick and cheap purchase of a "try out stem" and some other goodies to wait in the wings I started.

40593628183_47ef1a21f8_b.jpg

46751991764_fb74a9e913_b.jpg

Much better fit but of course the shock virtually bottoms out with my bulk on it. I've bought a shock pump in the meantime but I'd already dismantled the bike before that arrived. Red theme has subconsciously asserted itself and the original intention was to vapour blast the frame and forks and powder coat the main spar and fork legs in the same red MC colour.

Home made bearing press for the rear arm.
47475242071_14e2c5bfcb_b.jpg

Ready to go off for blasting tomorrow. I've changed my mind about the red frame and will start with keeping the main spar in the muted vapour blast finish and I'll polish up the rear arm and seat tower. I'm still getting the fork lowers PPC'd in red (what code??? see other thread) and if I still feel like going red on main, at least I can still get that done rather than have it done now and making a mistake.
46559954445_2fe2825691_b.jpg

Don't know what had been going on here but someone had been mounting "things" to the bar and stem in that time-honoured fashion of drilling and tapping into the handlebar and stem. :shock: :shock:
40593628173_698cafb422_b.jpg

40593628103_b913d3b352_b.jpg

A long long time ago, when I were just a lad, I threaded the clamp bolt on my Cinelli stem. Being just a boy I couldn't just go and buy a new one so I drilled through and put a bolt in

( my dad had lots of rusty OXO boxes of bolts and stuff in his shed IT HASN'T RUBBED OFF ON ME!!! NO!
40509104053_7d82cbcbb0_b.jpg

Shortly after successfully re-vamping my stem and saving me cash I didn't have, I was sprinting out of the saddle when the stem collapsed. The broken metal slashed my jeans and jusssstttt grazed my inner thigh as I crashed headlong into the tarmac with no helmet on. Oof, no head trauma, well externally at least, except I could no longer trust any alloy stem and could no longer commit to fast riding on my bike until about 1989 when I switched to MTBS, bought a new Saracen Tufftrax and a new Tioga T-Bone stem. Needless to say, that nonsense up there has gone in the bin!

Don't feel free to comment on the irony of me buying a Ringle Zooka. I've had one on the other bike for 24 years and apart from two new endcaps, it's been fine.

Parts so far, front and rear XT derailleurs bought from here, cleaned and rebuilt with some lovely red hope jockeys.
A set of Hope disc brakes.
£35 for a wheel with Hope Big un??? Facebook market place. There's another in the post but only problem is I've just realised the rear is 36 and the front is 32 which is going to make finding matching rims a bit of a bind.
Minty Flite Ti hidden under a towel to protect it in the mucky workshop, and just lots of stuff still needed to do.

33682966988_f7880db4f8_c.jpg

33682966948_b9c071ec67_c.jpg

33682970838_9d6ae8e39e_c.jpg

40593785943_92a07ed56f_c.jpg

I have a feeling this is going to be a great build, looking forward to seeing it progress!

Re:

Yeah mines showing it’s age now, mind you it’s been on my heckler since it was new in 97 so not bad going really.

The end caps aren't so much caps, they screw into each other.
The bearings will normally either stay in the hub and can be knocked out, or will stay on the end caps.
Just took a pic of one of mine.
For ref. the 20mm adapters just push in.

Attachments

• bigun.jpg
    bigun.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 3,862
Ah thanks, so just a soft grip needed to undo them.
I nipped along to our local bearing supplier only to find it closed shop nearly ten years ago.

Back