Missing parcels

Not been misfortunate to lose anything I can remember, but bought some hubs recently that were apparently returned to the sender - without me getting any attempted delivery notice or similar.
I think it was an insurance claim scam on the sellers part, but I can't quite work out how it was pulled off.

I paid via ebay
The item was marked as dispatched after two weeks - but no tracking info was provided.
When I chased it up a week after dispatch, (3 weeks after the purchase), the seller claimed it had been returned to them.
Apparently they then opened the item to find one of the hubs had been damaged, and therefore refunded me the full amount.

Surely to have a legitimate chance of a claim it would have a tracking/order/failed delivery/returned history with the delivery service, so I can't understand how the scam (if it was one) has worked.

Sellers feedback was 100% but they had historic feedback of slow dispatch, returned, reposted, refunded items - so I knew I was taking a gamble and that I would be protected through eBay if needed.

Yeah, you can generate a tracking number and postage label without actually posting it out, easy way out of actually sending you the item and getting a mark against his account, maybe he had a better offer?

I have had a few parcels opened lately. Mainly boring stuff like plant pots. There is no way they could open spontaneously. Definitely someone checking contents in transit.

Yodel think my local depot is in Livingstone Scotland and put it on a local van there for delivery 🤔
I'm in Manchester 200 miles away

I had some parts go missing with Hermes that I'd sold on eBay, had to refund the seller and stand the loss (wasn't insured).
6 months later a random package turns up out of the blue at home, they'd managed to return them to me, was chuffed despite the time that'd passed, so hopes no always lost.

I've been waiting for over a week for two different items bought on eBay from completely different sellers - both have gone into the Hermes system and disappeared.

Back