MBK Special pro…thoughts?

Great pics @dorset boy - those dates seem about right for the name change when Yamaha took full control over MBK:

From the Yamaha history homepage:

"Following a request by the French Industrial Reconstruction Committee, we increased our business interest in France in September 1984 by buying MBK Industrie, a motorcycle manufacturer in the northeastern town of Saint Quentin in the North of France. It had been created to help the restructuring of Motobécane, a failed motorcycle manufacturer. After a management crisis at Motobécane, MBK Industrie became a fully-owned Yamaha subsidiary.

To rebuild MBK in three months-time, Yamaha joined forces with MBK managers in 1987 to improve production systems, quality control, plant maintenance and facilities while coaching MBK Industrie from the sidelines to improve the factory culture. This was no easy task considering the cultural differences between the two companies."

Motobecane officially went bankrupt in 1981, propped up by many share holders (some private including Yamaha, some public) formed under MBK Industrie. Thought this was interesting from MBK, since it mentions other share holders and a capital injection.

1701525392422.png

So, I guess this means that if your Motobecane is post 1981, you actually have a Motobecane branded MBK. 😁 :p

EDIT: Actually, after looking in some company records it's much more complex date wise and long-winded. '82 to '84 looked like a very turbulent time to keep the company a float.

Last edited:
Japanese work culture meets French work culture !!!!!!!

I know, I had good laugh at that too. Also on the team bike I linked earlier, there is this gem of Simplex elegance - a great example of post Friday lunch rushed workmanship?

1701529694666.png

Just read that MBK Industry was registered on 02/01/1984. '82 and '83 looks like a frantic time keeping it going after the bankrupt filing in '81 and organising administrators, structures and investors. '84 seems it's rolling again and re-starting new marketing branding campaigns under the now complete control of MBK Industry, but again starts to trip-up, and Yamaha comes to the complete rescue of MBK Industry presumably because the public sector couldn't / shouldn't / did not want to finance it anymore?

I'm thinking out loud too, looking at catalogues, MBK seemed rather early with BMX, Bi-cross, and MTB and that may have contributed to Yamaha not axing this diverse bicycle business completely and earlier than they did.

So, I guess this means that if your Motobecane is post 1981, you actually have a Motobecane branded MBK. 😁 :p
Do you call your Land Rover a "Tata"? MBK had zero to do with the design and construction of these bicycles--they were investors.

Reactions: Woz
Do you call your Land Rover a "Tata"? MBK had zero to do with the design and construction of these bicycles--they were investors.

Got a bit ahead of myself when I posted that - see more clarification about dates above which I hope corrects things.

I don't own a Land Rover. The Range Rover Holland and Holland 3.6 TDV8 Turbo Supercharged diesel 503bhp is for errands to Lidl.

Back