MBK Special pro…thoughts?

Just read that MBK Industry was registered on 02/01/1984. '82 and '83 looks like a frantic time keeping it going after the bankrupt filing in '81 and organising administrators, structures and investors. '84 seems it's rolling again and re-starting new marketing branding campaigns under the now complete control of MBK Industry, but again starts to trip-up, and Yamaha comes to the complete rescue of MBK Industry presumably because the public sector couldn't / shouldn't / did not want to finance it anymore?

I'm thinking out loud too, looking at catalogues, MBK seemed rather early with BMX, Bi-cross, and MTB and that may have contributed to Yamaha not axing this diverse bicycle business completely and earlier than they did.
You can read a similar story of the waning days of Mercier, around the same time, with valiant efforts to save the company, workers following the TDF hoping for a win, pinning their hopes on an aging Zoetemelk. Those last race models were superbly made, too. It seems as if everyone was pulling together, with the new owners actually trying to continue making bicycles of the highest quality. Morale was high. At Motobecane the situation looks different. Yamaha was interested in insinuating itself into the Europeean motorcycle manufacturing sector, and the bicycle operations were an awkward part of the acquisition. There must have been conflict and difficulties in producing some of these flagship models.

Reactions: Woz
Fully agree - at least that's what my amateur-ish historical research leads. The bicycle and lightweight workshop were still let loose, had continuity until Yamaha got there heads around it with strategy and a business case some years after.

I think it's safe to say too, that a Team bike and a custom lightweight may not have been too dissimilar, regardless branded Motobecane or MBK is practically the same goings on - perhaps even to say virtually indiscernible on face value. Personally now, I think it's time I dropped off this thread a bit. Don't think I can contribute much more and it was fun to understand better and learn the model names to keep an eye out for in case I stumble across something. These bikes are bit too modern for my interest TBH.

There's Gitane too, Peugeot too, and sadly a whole host of small businesses, suppliers and builders that struggled too.

The same workshop supposedly built the custom "SP" model and the team bikes, which in some cases were identical. I suspect that this petered out some time in 1984. Documentation of this period is sketchy, and some things must be deduced from surviving bikes.

It is ironic and sad that bikes such as the one that prompted this discussion represent (in my view) the apogee of French cycle design--practical, beautiful, high-performing--but also heralded the beginning of the end.

"Oh, and of course for those who are interested in French stuff, a look in @Guinessisgoodforyou epic thread here, and since it's the festive time, pop-in and share a virtual beer here is something to do in these winter months ahead ;)"

From my experience in that country I'd say that will be an English beer.

From my experience in that country I'd say that will be an English beer.

..... you might be shocked and horrified what goes on there. It's run by a Danish guy, contributions from all over Europe and few from the other side of the pond in Canada and USA. It's the bloody British that is the rowdy bunch on Fridays. :D

You mean France is now a Danish possession? I thought they'd be satisfied with Greenland. Guess not.

I see that the MBK La Redoute team bike remains unsold. I am not surprised inasmuch as most collectors lack the creativity and imagination to acquire anything unusual. Reviewing the evidence I've concluded that this was almost certainly a real team bike and not a replica sold through a dealer. That it appears unused makes it rather special.

Partly because of this discussion I looked into whether a French catalog is available for the final 1984 model year for Motobecane. None are posted in the existing online catalog collections; only a US edition, which is less helpful when researching bikes sold in Europe. I have actually located the real thing and would like to purchase it, scan it, and upload the pages to the various C&V sites. This will cost me about 25 euro. I am thinking of asking for microdonations to help defray the cost. If, after posting the scans, I were to request a donation of, say, 50 pence, do you think I would get any contributions?

Back