Making things harder for yourself

I dare one of you to put a thread on a carbon steerer and run it with a threaded headset & a quill.🤡
Why would anybody on this particular site bother with anything carbon unless it was one of those beautiful
Lotuseseseseseseses.

+3
What about something like this:
View attachment 649989
Hmmm....atleast diameters are smaller...but all those bolts it's a bit industrial looking!
I'm just an old tart...to me a stem should be handsome or svelte looking 😊

Now these are interesting stems....just before ahead came out I believe it's a double quill one clamps steerer the other clamps stem open face too...I'd have half a dozen of em in this size but I've never seen another!
IMG_20220806_200128_058.jpg

This whole crowd, for me? 😊

Why do I want to do this? Boredom?

~scans through thread~

'Height adjustment', oh yes, they'll like that! Yes, it's for height adjustment!

So, I was thinking that'd it'd be really neat for stuff like height adjustment, looks and also it'd make people go "You're not quite right in the head, are you?" and out of pity they'd get me stuff from the supermarket.

Mickey, am I right to assume you mean that I have to take care of where I wedge the quill in relation to where my collars are? That's a good point.

why do they always have to come up with good reasons to -not- do stuff, we wants to do stuff!!!
Yes...the clamp to hold your headset together would be most happy if a big old wedge isn't trying to make it out of round....round bar round clamp is good it'll hold fine but make em out of round bad! Shock load would probably make it budge.
It's doable for an off road type bike.. I'd suggest a clamp that's a damn good fit and one that isn't slit all the way through however that's making it quite chunky ...whereas on a road bike you'd get away with it more but off-road I'd err a bit.

I like the way that modern BMX forks have done away with the star fangled nut, by threading the inside of the steerer and using a large hollow bolt thing to load the headset. Neat.

I don't think we differ that much. I agree that quill stems are inferior from an engineering (strength, stiffness, and fit) perspective. I just don't think it's worth worrying about for the average cyclist, because either design will work fine :)

I agree that the cost of threading is fairly small in terms of the total cost of a bike, but one way to save 10% is by saving 0.5% in 20 different areas of the manufacturing process. By getting rid of the threading process an entire process is removed from the work flow of making a fork, and ultimately making a bicycle 💡

And arguably the biggest advantage to the end user of threadless is that it's possible to adjust the headset out on the road without carrying a pair of large and heavy spanners 👍
If threading was a more expensive process, why do super-cheap BSOs, supermarket bikes, and the like usually seem to have quill stems and threaded headsets? Puzzled emoji here (if I could find one).

Back