Making things harder for yourself

Imlach

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
So I really hate threaded headsets

Don't ask why. It's a secret.

But I really like quill stems. Do you see where this is heading?

So, I'd like to run quill stems on my threadless forks, which obviously is ez-pz-lemonsqueezy. Two solid clamps for good measure, use a threaded rod with bolts and washers to preload, tighten up, pop in the quill... But what I am asking here: Is there a way to make it look nice? Could I make faux spacers that makes it look threaded? Obviously one option is to cut the steerer down but that seems a bit sad. Should I just accept that it'd be ugly, because life is ugly and cruel?

Last edited:
Great start to making it harder…! 😂

to make it easier, type the essay in notes/word first and cut and paste it in once ready to post. Then if you loose signal/connection and the page drops/refreshes you don’t loose your essay.

OH AND DO NOT RECOMMEND ME THE 'Qull I Nator' or whatever it's called. They charge and arm and a leg for something that good ol' Sheldon did before it was cool.

Can you run a quill stem in a ahead headset? Safely??
Or budged??
Sure, why not? The preloading is the key here. I'd preload it with an ahead stem first, using a threaded rod with washers on the fork-end and on top of the stem, tighten down the two clamps below the aheadset, removing it alongside the threaded rod, inserting quill stem.

Sheldon, to my understanding used an ahead on top, forgot that part - but the principle stands.

1659735379253.png

Back