MacRetro chat and rides thread

On Sunday I joined Keith, Clubby and Jock on a wee xc ride. Stupidly I had thought mention of gravel riding might mean gravel riding. Nope it was merely tame XC riding and yet again I was on the wrong bike, but it was great fun nonetheless. Now as I explained to the lads I shall be relocating to the Oban area to cohabit with my new and wonderful partner one I get a job there. Further there is a great deal of interesting and natural trails to ride out there, its the stomping ground of Ben Cathro among others. So having noted that even Jock rides a modern mtb now in the shape of his Sonder I thought it'd be stupid to tackle this new area on my retro steeds. So I have finally stopped f###ing about and with the aid of 24month zero percent finance bought a modern off road steed😳😳😳😳🤪
I will be seen at some point in the future on an On-One Scandal 29er with RockShox Judy forks, hydraulic disc brakes and a SRAM Eagle GX 1 x 12 speed gears😳😁
I fear this bike might be beyond me, but hopefully I am now a wee bit future proofed.

What is gravel, other than mild xc? We did forest tracks, roads and an old railway line, sounds pretty gravel to me.
Maybe gloss over the grassy descent into Abernethy and the boggy but between the tunnels, but they’d both have been fine if it hadn’t rained too much.
Anyway you didn’t die, so stop moaning. 😁

Not sure it’ll be quite right seeing you on a modern bike. That one sounds like it might even fit you. 😱 Strange times ahead.

Good luck with that job interview.

Sorry I didn’t make it on Sunday, first day back at work today. Wasn’t able to be too far from a toilet for the last three days 😔. Look forward to seeing your new bike Velo 👍. Sounds very nice. I’ve just finished my build and got out for a small spin yesterday. Won’t be taking this one on any retro rides though, only comes out on special occasions. I’m going to have to thin the fleet a little, minimum of two bikes must go. Hope I can get out for the next ride. 🤞

Got my new bike, its Huge and a nice sensible shade of dark brown so will not get cleaned and polished too often😁
Rides well and fits me perfect straight out of the box which surprised me. Only thing to change is the front and rear thru axles to quick release as remembering to pack a rear 8mm Allan key could be problematic.
I presume you get quick release thru axles🤔

My Transmitter has 15mm and 12mm thru-axles that I thought the same as you, I'd miss QRs, but not at all.
I take it you carry a wee tool and spares kit with tube, multi-tool etc? The wee el cheepo multi-tool I have has an 8mm adaptor for one of the smaller Allen keys. This has been perfect for the number of times I need to remove wheel while out on a ride.
This one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26491789...VwdGHlac8dspCcWOEbxXQu6Myp|tkp:Bk9SR8jaiomEYQ
El cheepo so not workshop quality but the thru-axles being aluminium and not torqued up mega tight so they're hardly going to wear out the 8mm.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Now located in northern Argyle 😊
Unfortunately not likely to be involved in any weekend mountain biking adventures due to new temporary Tesco job has me working all weekends for a bit😒
So see you lot next year sometime😉

Latest posts

Back