MacRetro chat and rides thread

Good luck for your race today Clubby! Might be a bit on the slippery side.
I was going to watch some of the road cycling in Aberdeen today but the weather is foul so I'll just catch the highlights on Tv later.

Thanks Jim, but I’m not actually there.

Went for practice yesterday and was just totally out of my depth. Chose the 80 version which was supposed to be a bit easier but was still to much for me. 4.5 mile climb to start of my first stage involving pushing up the final half mile. Two corners into stage was a corkscrew, rock garden chute. Got off to look, but no chance of taking a few goes at it, as was just a constant stream of faster riders barrelling into it. Got back on but just couldn’t carry enough speed to get through sections smoothly. Skipped ahead to end stages to get some breathing space and felt better, but still getting caught on stage by faster riders and having to pullover. Climbs were brutal and mostly involved me pushing.

My category was getting set off last of the punters field and only an hour ahead of the first pro riders. Even doing a stage less than them, I’m don’t think I’d have got to the end before getting caught. Not fun for either me or them.

Didn’t have ideal last month, with smacking my ribs and needing three weeks off bike. Also meant I missed my coaching day there, where they practiced a couple of the stages. I’d also not ridden much over summer with the heat, family, work and general laziness. Started out the year with good intentions and did my usual annual mileage by May. Kind of got burned out and slacked off the gym training as well.

Riding definitely improved, I blind rode stuff yesterday I wouldn’t even have considered this time last year, but just so slowly. I’m braking and juddering through sections the others were just floating over. There’s a big difference between riding and racing the stages.

New stages they’ve resurrected after the storms were great, I’ll be back once my ego has recovered.

Yeah, Pitfichie is quite a technical area at the best of times, not much room for error, even less so in the wet. There's always another race to do though. I've not been up there myself for a long time, I'll have to dust the bike off & go for a ride soon, if you're planning on going back there give me a shout.
I'm watching the Tour of Britain on TV, it started from Aberdeen this morning and I'd planned to go and watch along the beachfront, but the weather was horrible so I opted to stay warm & dry and watch the TV coverage instead 😅

Completely lost my bike mojo😕
Got a shed full of bikes but every time I go in I get depressed and leave😞
Can't even be bothered to ride one more than a couple of hundred meters.
Have not felt this bad about cycling ever.
I hope it's a passing phase😐

Oh no Velo, sorry to hear that. I’m sure your mojo will return soon. I’m looking forward to seeing your new full bounce bike next time we’re out.

Bo
Oh no Velo, sorry to hear that. I’m sure your mojo will return soon. I’m looking forward to seeing your new full bounce bike next time we’re out.
Bounce Bikes in shed and will remain there until I can be bothered, possibly next year. If I ride off road between then and now it'll be that old Emmelle Alpine l rode at Loch Leven as its still operational and untouched. Cannot be bothered to fettle anything else.

how about a group gravel ride in October to get your mojo back Velo.

Nice loop round, lochs, fitty, glo, Leven and lochore that I’ve seen a few folk do on Strava.

Also still got the glen farg railway tunnels loop to do before winter.

Back