MacRetro chat and rides thread

Very nice Velo, I like the matching pedals, very cool.
I just can't do it this year as I have a family weekend away next week and have decided to do a super quick down and back to North Yorkshire for the Jack Taylor ride in a fortnight. Have fun and enjoy!

Jamie

Now this I think possibly only Brian would agree is a proper single speed off road bike. I shall probably die in Yorkshire but it might survive better than all of my wooden bike attempts :) View attachment 562137

Those frames will outlast all of us.
My first mtb was an early Raleigh Maverick and looked a lot like that, except it was maroon. Glad to see youā€™ve alloy rims. Mine had those brakes but chromed steel rims. Braking in the wet was more of a suggestion of slowing than actual braking.
Enjoy!!!!

Might not be that bike I'm taking but whatever I take will be rigid. As for brakes, you only need good stoppers if you intend to ride fast. I have no intention of exceeding walking pace which to be honest will be what I will predominantly be doing. Not looking forward to course as it looks steep and gnarly plus I hate getting my feet wet, unavoidable it seems as a ford must be crossed. Hopefully the beer and sillyness will make it all worthwhile.

That bike will be fine. For one thing, it actually looks like it fits you properly. I reckon Iā€™d struggle to swing my leg over it!

With you on the wet feet, I hate it. Maybe better to learn to embrace it though. Went for a ride up the Fungle to Aboyne last week. Came to a river crossing which looked deep enough to cause an issue riding it. Was an open sided bridge so decided to ride that instead. Unfortunately I caught my bars on an overhanging tree and fell off the side of it. Six foot up. With a 25 kg ebike landing on top of me. ā€œLuckilyā€ the river was deep enough and I was ok, more importantly so was the bike. I was however a bit wetter than if Iā€™d just tried to ride the river. Had to strip to my liner shorts and wring everything out. And Iā€™d no water for the rest of the ride as Iā€™d landed on my Camelbak and burst the bladder. That little bit of good news wasā€™t apparent until I was past the point of no return and had to finish the loop. Turns out they donā€™t make that bladder shape anymore, so Iā€™ve had to buy a whole new pack as well, and I cracked the bottom corner of my iPhone screen. Expensive decision that one.

What Iā€™m really saying is f#ck the wet feet and just get on with enjoying the ride šŸ˜†

Decided best to stick with a mtb so Univega Fs730 gets the nod. At least its 24lbs so lightweight for all that bike pushing I will be doingā˜ŗļø

Back