MacRetro chat and rides thread

Very nice Velo, I like the matching pedals, very cool.
I just can't do it this year as I have a family weekend away next week and have decided to do a super quick down and back to North Yorkshire for the Jack Taylor ride in a fortnight. Have fun and enjoy!

Jamie

Now this I think possibly only Brian would agree is a proper single speed off road bike. I shall probably die in Yorkshire but it might survive better than all of my wooden bike attempts :) View attachment 562137

Those frames will outlast all of us.
My first mtb was an early Raleigh Maverick and looked a lot like that, except it was maroon. Glad to see you’ve alloy rims. Mine had those brakes but chromed steel rims. Braking in the wet was more of a suggestion of slowing than actual braking.
Enjoy!!!!

Might not be that bike I'm taking but whatever I take will be rigid. As for brakes, you only need good stoppers if you intend to ride fast. I have no intention of exceeding walking pace which to be honest will be what I will predominantly be doing. Not looking forward to course as it looks steep and gnarly plus I hate getting my feet wet, unavoidable it seems as a ford must be crossed. Hopefully the beer and sillyness will make it all worthwhile.

That bike will be fine. For one thing, it actually looks like it fits you properly. I reckon I’d struggle to swing my leg over it!

With you on the wet feet, I hate it. Maybe better to learn to embrace it though. Went for a ride up the Fungle to Aboyne last week. Came to a river crossing which looked deep enough to cause an issue riding it. Was an open sided bridge so decided to ride that instead. Unfortunately I caught my bars on an overhanging tree and fell off the side of it. Six foot up. With a 25 kg ebike landing on top of me. “Luckily” the river was deep enough and I was ok, more importantly so was the bike. I was however a bit wetter than if I’d just tried to ride the river. Had to strip to my liner shorts and wring everything out. And I’d no water for the rest of the ride as I’d landed on my Camelbak and burst the bladder. That little bit of good news was’t apparent until I was past the point of no return and had to finish the loop. Turns out they don’t make that bladder shape anymore, so I’ve had to buy a whole new pack as well, and I cracked the bottom corner of my iPhone screen. Expensive decision that one.

What I’m really saying is f#ck the wet feet and just get on with enjoying the ride 😆

Decided best to stick with a mtb so Univega Fs730 gets the nod. At least its 24lbs so lightweight for all that bike pushing I will be doing☺️

Back