Looking for front shock advice - 97 Rocky Mtn Altitude TO

bje

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone,

I have a really nice condition 97 Rocky Altitude TO 18.5" that I'd like to get new front forks for. Wondering what recommendations may be out there in this day and age to replace the stock Judy SL's. Obviously I'm not interested in adding tons of travel to the bike and altering the geometry.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks
Barry

Re: Looking for front shock advice - 97 Rocky Mtn Altitude T

What's wrong with the Judy SL's? Anything with more travel will alter the geometry of course...

Are you sure you don't need a new up to date frame? My misses would love that bike, she would, really, I'll tell her she needs it.
Keep the JUDY, if the damper needs oil, service it. If the MCU section has gone if you;be not already changed the type-II setup to full springs, then grab some springs.

Otherwise, marzocchi s-fly/x-fly or the standard spring versions if you don't mind extra weight and buying a bit newer.
Some might say get a Fox fork...
No idea what modern fork will work well. All will fit.

FluffyChicken":3pfsci7j said:
Are you sure you don't need a new up to date frame? My misses would love that bike, she would, really, I'll tell her she needs it.
Keep the JUDY, if the damper needs oil, service it. If the MCU section has gone if you;be not already changed the type-II setup to full springs, then grab some springs.

Otherwise, marzocchi s-fly/x-fly or the standard spring versions if you don't mind extra weight and buying a bit newer.
Some might say get a Fox fork...
No idea what modern fork will work well. All will fit.

Actually I'd be happy to keep them. The bike is in stock condition. However the elastomers are completely shot as is the damping cartridge. Its my understanding that parts are no longer available....any assistance in sourcing parts would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

Search ebay for KRONOS springs or see if other JUDY springs are there. I see your address looks like it could be US so probably find more options than over here in the UK

Rebuild your cartridge using the instructions in the Archive (and a forum search should pick some additional tips up)

FluffyChicken":2pfbfo31 said:
Search ebay for KRONOS springs or see if other JUDY springs are there. I see your address looks like it could be US so probably find more options than over here in the UK

Rebuild your cartridge using the instructions in the Archive (and a forum search should pick some additional tips up)

Thanks fluffy chicken. Between posting this and reading your reply i found Kronos. One purple set +180lbs is already on order. Just dd a full disassembly and the butter is still surprisingly clean despite MCU disintegration.

Are there any options for getting the cartridge serviced? Next step is to follow your lead on service tips on the site. many thanks to all!

FluffyChicken":19v9c81m said:
What sounds wrong with it ?

Service and stuff is here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... e/Service/

The google forum search on 'judy damper service' might pick up a few threads to read.

(This one is probably the most complete set as it has pictures :) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=198073 )

The damper assembly has lost some oil over the last 15 years! It still functions but does have some air in it. I pulled up all the service manuals but do not want to pull apart the cartridge if all the seals etc are unobtaniums! Is there soneone who sells a rebuild kit for it or should I simply suck it up and pay the $90 to Risse? Thanks!

Either go for the risse
Or look up the codes on the seals..
Or just reuse the seals on there like most of us ;-)

You could do the filler method similar to the '98 version.
Undo the adjuster screw (in the shaft) fill it up through there with a syringe and a shaft pumping action....

You've got nothing to loose trying the rebuild as you can just buy the rises or look for a replacement on eBay/here etc...

Great suggestion. I'm going to do the full pull apart and replace with some slightly thicker 7.5wt shock oil.

What a great site this is. Thanks again!

Back