Lakes road ride 8th April

Re:

Looks like a fantastic day out. Probably just as well I couldn't accompany jackosbournesnr down from Scotland as my only built and working retro road bike , a shonky gas pipe Raleigh , would have lowered the standard of bike on show. Very impressive turnout.

Mymumsaysimcool":2qs63v18 said:
As my first 'official' Retrobike-ride i wan't sure what to expect, but couldn't have hoped for a better day; the weather, route, bikes and company were all magnificent. Apart from an early route-mishap by an over-eager breakaway group (of which i was a part :oops: ) the day was faultless. My highlights include the stunning and undulating landscape, the killer climb (Crosby?), the constant sound of clunky gears shifting and the unusually positive heckling from the local youth: "you're doing really well!". A massive thanks to Clive and Sally for their 5-star hosting and delicious food, a Retrobike-Retreat would be a fair description. Thanks also to Jack Osbourne for his tutorial on Delta brakes and Haribo dispensing, Martin for allowing me use of his Ribble for the day and Ben for the logistics.

My photos here:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/77997029@N07/Uky05L

Brilliant photos! So many beautiful, shiny bikes!

Special kudos for having taken many of them with your iPhone whilst on the move. I'm too old and stiff to do that sort of photography.

I'd have ended up either phoneless or in a hedge... Probably both actually.

Cheers
Ken

jackosbournesnr":3av5326l said:
I'd have ended up either phoneless or in a hedge... Probably both actually.

There was a twitchy moment videoing on the stone road when I wondered whether it was about to all go horribly wrong :LOL:

Great company, amazing weather, brilliant route, fantastic hosting, gorgeous bikes, and an amazing home-made flan at the end of it!

Anybody was lucky they got a piece after I tasted it!

It was only my impeccable manners that stopped me grabbing the platter, vaulting the wall into the field and scoffing the lot.

There is actually a large bit of me that wishes I had done exactly that. :p

It was, without doubt, one of the best tasting homity/flan I have ever had and quite possibly THE best.

jackosbournesnr":tsc4knre said:
I've just had a thought... does Saturday's ride qualify us for one of those "Retrobike rider" badgy things?

Certainly should - drop drystonepaul (or any mod) a PM and at some point in the next year or so... ;)

Re:

Looks like great day out, sorry to have missed it. Some lovely bikes on display too.

Back