Great Dun fell road ride April 14th REVISED ROUTE

jackosbournesnr":2zeqjl72 said:
Not going to be quite the weather we had this time last year, but I'm sure we can still have a damn good time!

I'm bringing the Tour Dr Fer with rackpack, so I'll have space to carry an extra couple of wind jackets and gilets for anyone that doesn't have room in pockets or bags.

Absolutely certain of it! And dibs a corner of that for a light jacket or maybe a pair of gloves pleaseverymuch :LOL: ;)

Penrith weather forecast has just improved again.... There is now a hint of sunshine suggested for the afternoon!

Still showing brass monkeys temperature at the radar dome all day though.

jackosbournesnr":2c1pnnpy said:
Penrith weather forecast has just improved again.... There is now a hint of sunshine suggested for the afternoon!

Still showing brass monkeys temperature at the radar dome all day though.

Come what may I’m sure it will be great

Re:

Every time I look it's improved, always believed Clive has that kind of influence... :cool:

WANTED
Longshot this, but I'm after a pair of 36h Campag Chorus hubs if anyone has a pair. Needs to take a 10sp cassette but I think anything 8sp onwards can manage that...
Also a Chorus front skewer of the semi-modern smooth style.

Plus Rich needs a 1 1/8" Pace steerer - Colin?!

Never know your luck! ;)

What a cracking day out...again!

A million thanks to Clive and Sally for organising and looking after us all so well.

I've never enjoyed courgette in any form as much as I did in Sally's courgette cake...took a bit of a leap of faith to take that first bite, but wow was it worth it!

Highlight of the day would be having made it to the top riding an oil tanker narrowly pipping bringing so much delight to all present with the cooked front brake and multi coloured rotor on the way back down. In my defence, oil tankers clearly aren't designed to go up OR down hills!

Thanks to all for the chat and laughs. Look forward to seeing everyone soon.

Cheers
Ken

I would like to say a big THANK YOU to Ken jackosbournesnr, Rich Myshrall189 Nick Retrospud, Colin Bhill22, Pete elpedro666, Carl Dicko10 ,Martin HarryCrumb & Big ring Bill for making the effort to come and join me today, without your support guys these events would not take place.

I will also say a MASSIVE thank you to my brilliant wife for all her hard work and effort, her culinary skills really are the cherry on top of the cake and truly make the day!

The day started off overcast but not to cold and we covered the first 15miles to Melmerby in an hour this included a decent climb up from Kirkoswald to Gamblesby. Whilst in Melmerby I spotted a familiar Red Cliff Shrubb at the tea rooms a quick pop inside and Big ring Bill was added to the retro bike peloton and we headed off on the next 10 mile to Knock and the start of the big climb.

I won't lie it is tough, whilst the Martin the spaniel (they chase anything) made it to the top in 36mins ( I think)
I'd have to say a BIG congratulations to Nick for a first ride out it was bloody hard going and to Ken that oil tanker seemed to sink into the tarmac also to Bill for a guy who is 76yrs 45mins to the top is a brilliant achievement.
The best thing about getting to the top last is you don't have to hang around as long as the first riders who were getting pretty chilly by the time me and Nick got to the top. After the obligatory photo shoot at the top we made our way down ( probably a bit sketchy for Ken with no front brake) and on to our lunch stop in Duffton we were going to the Stag inn but unfortunately they had stopped serving food a 2 o'clock and it was 3 o'clock by the time we got there,Luckily for us there was a tearoom across the road which was I think a welcome sight for us all.
After filling our faces and a well deserved rest we headed on to Appleby to take the back road to Penrith and home an amusing part of the ride as the road is undulating and watching people take off up the climbs only for another rider to shoot off after them chasing them down before the top, this did lead to a bit of a breakaway in the peloton but as long as the rider with the directions was at the back they didn't get to far lol.

Once back at home and people changed out of their cycling gear food was consumed and trading began, Thanks to Colin for bringing me a very nice Stumpy (build thread coming soon) and Martin and Carl for taking away some of my surplus stock and to the rest of you for consuming all the food (no excuse for me to put on the pounds).

Thanks again to all for a really great day
ps please put up your pics

Re:

Thanks to all who arranged and took part. Especially Clive for his hospitality and directions.
Now I have a big problem, do I trade in the carbon bike against a retro steed or just buy one outright??

Back