Is there a good info source or a guide for retro rims?

oliverrr

Dirt Disciple
Just wondering - is there any comprehensive guide for retro rims (material, ranking, recommended usage etc.)? There are tons of rim models from the most popular producers and it's currently a bit overwhelming for a newbie like me. Usually I end up Googling the model and end up surfing in various bike forums (assuming there is any info).

For instance, there are many databases for retro Shimano groupsets (manuals, ranking, technical details, exploded views etc.) and I can get most of the info I need from those documents.

The reason this came to my mind is that I can't find much info about the Wolber AT20 rim. There's a thread (Wolber AT 18 Rims) where I can conclude that the AT18 is a nice rim, but there isn't much info about the AT20.... Does the numeric value in the model name refer to the rim width (and AT means All Terrain? :cool:) or is there something else?

Thanks!

AT20 is the older original rim, they brought out the AT18 later (and an AT15 too).
Lighter and narrower rims.

Not sure if the number refers to the inner dimension like many, but outers are 26 (AT20) and 22 (AT1:cool:
Quite heavy rims compared to others (when in the early 90s)

There are also TR1s etc for Tubular Rims, still MTBs, not something you'd want unless like me you have a specific bike that had them. Still not bought any TRs though.

I have wolber AT18's's on a 1990 Cannodale so they must have regarded them as decent... also, Wolber AT20s my 88/89? Claude Butler spectre.....and Wolber 'super' Canyons on my '84 ridgeback....all nice rims, especially the Canyons.

I built a pair of at15s onto m732 hubs a couple of months back......nice rims, weighed in at 450g each, so only a few grams heavier than the mavic equivalent ( real weight not published!)

I also built some at20s a few years back, again nice underrated rims, probably again no more than 20g per wheel heavier than say a mavic m261.

Back