Is Retro faster?

yakboy":2q1tcds7 said:
legrandefromage":2q1tcds7 said:
You just cannot compare the two anymore, the genome tree has branched off in so many directions.

This sums it up for me. I love riding both modern and retro but they are very different and that's part of the joy. You could split retro into rigid vs front suspension vs full suspension vs canti's vs V brakes. They all ride differently have different strengths and weakness's

Vive La Difference

And this.

Re:

RetroBIKE's first user was registered in 2005, with the retro cut-off at 1997, 8 years prior....

This thread was started in 2013, it is now 5 years old. In 3 years time the OP's bike will be considered retro by the same time having elapsed.

In fact, the On One 456 (see first post of this thread) steel version was around in 2010: https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category ... -10-39815/ which means the OP's bike is now retro itself. The bike featured has a triple chainset - that's DEFINTELY retro.

As the thread is now non sensical "is my (just barely) retro bike faster than a more retro, retrobike" then it should be locked.

SP

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":2ati3lgj said:
RetroBIKE's first user was registered in 2005, with the retro cut-off at 1997, 8 years prior....

This thread was started in 2013, it is now 5 years old. In 3 years time the OP's bike will be considered retro by the same time having elapsed.

SP
But what was in his sandwiches?

Re: Re:

[/quote] But what was in his sandwiches?[/quote]

I assume judging by the year and the month, jam. I remember a thread along the lines "is rhubarb jam retro?"

The reason this thread never converges to a conclusion is because the answer is neither yes or no. Is retro faster? Sometimes it is, but sometimes it isn't.

Yes, modern is usually faster, but the question remains how much faster, and is the extra expense worth it? For example, my rigid Dynatech whch i could builf for 100 quid comes in at about 10% slower than a decent carbon 29er hard tail with 2x11 gearing which costs more than ten times as much. I'm pretty sure most of that difference is down to wheel size, while so called improvements like giant hollow bottom bracket axles, 1x11 grousets and carbon make only marginal differences, if at all. The supposed need for many modern bike technologies is hyped way out of proportion by the bike industry.

Something I find curious is the interest shown by industry shills on youtube (GCN, GMBN etc.) in doing dubious retro vs modern comparisons. It's as though the industry worries that people might wake up to the fact that this year's new range of bikes is no better than last year's. And even worse (for the industry), that people might extrapolate from that and start looking at older bikes that do the job pretty nearly as well as new bikes.

ultrazenith":1fq8yyio said:
Something I find curious is the interest shown by industry shills on youtube (GCN, GMBN etc.) in doing dubious retro vs modern comparisons. It's as though the industry worries that people might wake up to the fact that this year's new range of bikes is no better than last year's. And even worse (for the industry), that people might extrapolate from that and start looking at older bikes that do the job pretty nearly as well as new bikes.

Good point - you never get 'We tested the 2018 Ford Focus against a Mk2 Cortina' or 'We tested the new Samsung Galaxy against a BT Phonebox'
:LOL:

hamster":zs83guqq said:
ultrazenith":zs83guqq said:

Good point - you never get 'We tested the 2018 Ford Focus against a Mk2 Cortina' or 'We tested the new Samsung Galaxy against a BT Phonebox'
:LOL:

I'd love a Mk2 Cortina though... (Lotus version preferably)

Back on topic, I never really worry about how fast I go! Especially off-road.

Interesting arguments here though...

Back