If I put '92 XT kit on a '94 (?) frame...

Well then, what year should I consider this beast?

• ‘92

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ‘94

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • ???

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

kjarrett

Retro Guru
...what 'year' should I consider the finished bike to be?

Kit is full XT M730. Frame (Diamond Back Axis Pro) is stamped indicating it was built in '94. To this day I have never been able to conclusively determine the year of the bike; the '92 Axis Pro had slightly different cable stops and was full XTR M900. I've never been able to find evidence of a '93 or '94 Axis Pro with the cable stops the way mine is.

Just wondering how this beast I’m building should be referred to once I’m done.

Cheers, kj

The year of the frame determines the year of the bike. Whatever you put on it. Ask Joan Collins

But of little consequence as if it’s fitted with older bits it will run off to join the circus and you’ll never see it again.

I agree, put whatever you like on it, you could even paint it orange and white and put citrus stickers on it, it will still be a '94 Diamond Back.

kjarrett":2apbdlcc said:
Thanks, History Man and mk one ... signature changed

No problem. Be careful I put deerhead on the 89 at the front. I sometimes catch a glimpse of her on international news reports. Well I suppose she’s enjoying the life. Seeing the world, from the inside of that tent. Wouldn’t everywhere look the same?

Attachments

• 68DBBD5D-5B28-4B6E-AB4C-B163EE85149C.jpeg
    68DBBD5D-5B28-4B6E-AB4C-B163EE85149C.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 390
The History Man":141v19ww said:
kjarrett":141v19ww said:
Thanks, History Man and mk one ... signature changed

No problem. Be careful I put deerhead on the 89 at the front. I sometime catch a glimpse on international news reports. Well I suppose she’s enjoying the life. Seeing the world, from the side of that tent. Wouldn’t everywhere look the same?

True, it's a lifestyle, much more than a job. Different locales every week, right. So, a mixed bag, I'd say.

Re:

As long as it rides sweet what's not to like? I had a Raleigh SPD Reynolds optima frame (97 I think as it didn't have guides for canti's) however it had full Dx (650 era) as the frame was a warranty replacement.
What date letter has you gearset got?

Re: Re:

MR OX":mo01vu3j said:
As long as it rides sweet what's not to like? I had a Raleigh SPD Reynolds optima frame (97 I think as it didn't have guides for canti's) however it had full Dx (650 era) as the frame was a warranty replacement.
What date letter has you gearset got?

Oh trust me, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this thing - already loved the frame when it was almost full LX, it's going to be even nicer with XT.

Not sure what you mean by date letter of the gearset? Most of my XT bits are shown below. Literally have all of it except the non-clipless pedals, and the chain I got is HG-70, and the BB is a UN-51.

Attachments

• 92XT.jpg
    92XT.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 381

Latest posts

Back