If I put '92 XT kit on a '94 (?) frame...

Well then, what year should I consider this beast?

• ‘92

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ‘94

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • ???

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Re:

I think Shimano components have a letter which gives the date produced, I could well be wrong though. My memory isn't what it was :LOL:

Re: Re:

MR OX":1oqezh2z said:
I think Shimano components have a letter which gives the date produced, I could well be wrong though. My memory isn't what it was :LOL:

Very possible, perhaps someone knows where I might find a table indicating what letters mean what? That might be fun to explore...

I did similar rebuilds and if the parts are any good, they would upgrade the frame and wouldn't look odd on it as '93 modells had them anyway. As long as your frame has brake studs and a rear cable stop can be attached on it, heck, why not, even on newer frames?

M730 is the gold-standard Big S' kit, its only (secret!) worthy competitor in terms of longevity is the M650 DX stuff. When they stopped making them bulletproofness was in grave danger and still is to this day (Malaysian XT stuff, ehh). I collect only DX and XT parts from that era, XTR is -while desirable and can be tough - hugely overpriced/hyped, and more prone to failure.

If Shimano decided to launch a classic re-edition of this XT/DX stuff, (provided it's built to old standard quality, of course) - I'm sure they could ask XTR price for it and it was still worth it.

Brilliant. Thanks! I’ve sourced the bits over the past six months from eBay and members here. Everything in excellent condition, some even NOS. I had the frame powder coated wet black and it’s got repro decals from Gil, so it’s going to look and feel like a new bike. And, my back up wheelset has M650 DX hubs, as it turns out. Can’t wait to finish this thing!

Re: Re:

The History Man":1o7s4kap said:
kjarrett":1o7s4kap said:
MR OX":1o7s4kap said:

Very possible, perhaps someone knows where I might find a table indicating what letters mean what? That might be fun to explore...
https://www.pedalpedlar.co.uk/blogs/blo ... date-codes

Super cool, I have determined the parts I have with codes (FC-M730 cranks, RD-M735 rear mech, FD-M735 front mech, BR-M734 brakes) are dated 90-Apr, 90-May, 90-Oct, 91-May respectively. Can't find codes on the shifters or the hubs but none of the parts came with the bike anyway, was a bare frame when I got it. Thanks again!

Re:

If you put the incorrect groupset on the frame the sky will fall in, dogs will start living with cats, plague will sweep the earth..........oh hang on!

kjarrett":tvd547c4 said:
Brilliant. Thanks! I’ve sourced the bits over the past six months from eBay and members here. Everything in excellent condition, some even NOS. I had the frame powder coated wet black and it’s got repro decals from Gil, so it’s going to look and feel like a new bike. And, my back up wheelset has M650 DX hubs, as it turns out. Can’t wait to finish this thing!
I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures :cool:

M735 ran from 1990 to 93 anyway, so your really not out of date with the frame by much is any.

Sounds perfect.

Back